Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BOONMAN Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
    If I'm 2nd owner of a business and have a full time job
    If I'm 2nd owner of a business and have a full time job, then got laid off from my full time job, can I still collect unemployment?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
    Assuming that full time job was as a regular employee and NOT as a contractor. Then you have an acceptable work history to draw against.

Sep 25, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Assuming that full time job was as a regular employee and NOT as a contractor. Then you have an acceptable work history to draw against.
    Yes, fulltime job as a regular employee for 7 years and now I decided to open my own business as a 2nd owner and my employer decided to lay me off. So I'm eligible for unemployment in state of California?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BOONMAN View Post
    Yes, fulltime job as a regular employee for 7 years and now I decided to open my own business as a 2nd owner and my employer decided to lay me off. So I'm eligible for unemployment in state of California?
    That would qualify you in all 50 states...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 25, 2012, 03:36 PM
    I disagree. You have to be not working to collect, plus you have to show regular attempts to get jobs, and be ready and willing to work. You can certainly 'pretend' you haven't started a business, depending on how far you got registering your company name, getting a business license and sales tax ID and so on.

You didn't pay into UI; the employer did.

Sep 25, 2012, 03:40 PM
    Hmmm, so if I didn't open my business under my name, I could've collect unemployment?
    current pert

Sep 25, 2012, 03:42 PM
    Wait, it seems that there are programs for the self-employed or partners to also collect UI; they go by state. If you qualify, you might be able to collect.
    current pert

Sep 25, 2012, 03:45 PM
    But I can't find one for CA...

Sep 25, 2012, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    But I can't find one for CA...
    Such headaches, I just open my business as 2nd owner after I was laid off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I worked full time for my wife's business which is a sole propriotorship can I collect [ 1 Answers ]

My wife's business is a D B A in the state of Ma. It employs approx 20 people .I work seasonally full time for her business which is a sole propriatorship. I have recently been laid off.. may I collect unemployment compensation. I did this in the past without a problem... this time I was denied on...

Biz owner w/full time job eligible for unemployment? [ 5 Answers ]

I own a staffing business with my fiancé and I hold a full time position. If I am laid off can I collect unemployment? The business claims a loss and I do not collect any money from the business currently. Please help!

19 year old [20 in jan] won't get a full-time job. [ 19 Answers ]

My 19 year old refuses to get a full-time job. He had a really good job and decided that the job wasn't good enough for him since most of the individuals he was employed with were much older than he was and they didn't seem to have anything going for them; at that point he ascertained that he would...

Tax re: Full-time job in NJ and Part-time job in Brooklyn,NY [ 1 Answers ]

Am a Jersey resident working full-time(40 hours, AGI~$60,000) in Jersey claiming 5. May be accepting position in Brooklyn, NY for additional part-time (16 hours,AGI~$19,000-23,000) Have read responses about resident in Jersey working in NY with one job. Since my part-time position is in NY, I...

View more questions Search