Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llb1974 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2012, 11:29 AM
    What can cause a positive urine alcohol level, even though no alcohol was consumed
    I recently took a urine alcohol test and it came back positive, however I hadn't drank any alcohol in over three weeks. I have no idea why this would come back positive. I did use options conceptrol vaginal contraceptive gel the night prior to the test. The ingredients in this are Nonoxynol 9 (100 mg per aplicatorful) lactic acid, methylparaben, povidone, propylene glycol, purified water, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, sorbic acid, sorbitol solution. Do you have any idea if the gel could have caused a positive result, or any reason it would be positive since I had not drank any alcohol in over three weeks?

Thank you,

llb1974
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2012, 12:13 PM
    At what level was alcohol detected? Do you have any medical conditions? Are you prone to yeast infection and/or intestinal-digestive problems?

Sep 25, 2012, 02:40 PM
    The Ethyl Glucuronide was 2,123... test method was LC-MS/MS , Ethyl Sulfate was negative.

I am hypothyroid, and have elevated BP, I take synthroid and toprol xl. As for intestinal-digestive, I had lap band last November, and a new procedure , where they pleat your stomach to make it smaller. I was in the hospital the end of August due to dehydration, and vomitting. I had extremely low sodium and potassium. I couldn't keep fluids or anything down for almost a week. I am not prone to yeast infections.
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
    As for intestinal-digestive, I had lap band last November, and a new procedure , where they pleat your stomach to make it smaller...
    In all likelihood that is your answer. You are creating ethanol by way of intestinal (endogenous) fermentation. I'm surprised that the ETS was negative with the EtG reading at that level, but that is not too unusual with readings under 5000.

Rosano & Lin (2008) provides further references for this phenomenon in specific relation to EtG (p. 597)

Spinucci, et al Endogenous ethanol production in a patient with chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology: July 2006 - Volume 18 - Issue 7 - pp 799-802

Sep 25, 2012, 04:59 PM
    Bill,

Is there a way to be tested for this endogenous fermentation?

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate everything!

llb1974
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2012, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by llb1974 View Post
    Bill,

Is there a way to be tested for this endogenous fermentation?

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate everything!!

llb1974
    Maybe. You probably have a detectable amount of alcohol in your system most of the time but particularly after eating or drinking anything containing sugar. Not only would you have EtG in urine you would also have ethanol (EtG testing wouldn't pick that up). By taking sequential urine samples and testing for ethanol about an hour apart would indicate that it is being produced internally as it could be observed that you weren't ingesting the alcohol.

If this involves a doctor I believe I would print out the two resources I provided and leave it up to him/her how best to verify. Endogenous ethanol production isn't a recent phenomenon. There is a good history. The only reason it isn't considered in EtG testing is because EtG is a relatively new and poorly researched test.

Sep 25, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Bill,

Thank you so much for your help. I will print out the two resources you listed for my doctor.

Again I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Thanks,

llb1974

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do my urine test keep coming back positive for alcohol when I am not drinking? [ 3 Answers ]

I am not drinking alcohol but my urine tests keeping coming back positive for alcohol

How was I tested positive for alcohol in my urine test if I don't drink? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Pregnant and don't drink at all...

Help, Positive ETG Alcohol test and no alcohol has been consumed? [ 21 Answers ]

And again. More failed ETGs. He is not drinking. What to do? Could there be something wrong with his liver? He DOES NOT drink.

View more questions Search