Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scruff2461 Posts: 23, Reputation: -1

Sep 23, 2012, 12:09 PM
    Are there any hypoallergenic dog similar to border collies?
    I love border collies but mums allergic.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 23, 2012, 01:02 PM
    Do a Google search. They have listed tons of them!
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2012, 07:00 PM
    You need to make sure it is truly hypo-allergenic. For example when the creator of the Labradoodle created the breed so someone who was allergic to dogs could have a guide dog, not all of the dogs he produced were hypoallergenic. It is explained better in this article: Man cross-Bred Labrador and Poodle into Labradoodle, Regret | Global Animal

Sep 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
    Thanks but I'm still looking for more answers
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
    Short haired breeds, such as a vizsla, are hypoallergenic.. Most of your dogs that are long haired, such as border collies, are not due to their long hair really holding in the dander that most people are allergic to
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2012, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Short haired breeds, such as a vizsla, are hypoallergenic.. Most of your dogs that are long haired, such as border collies, are not due to their long hair really holding in the dander that most people are allergic to
    I have actually found the opposite. I am highly allergic to any dog with short hair, yet longer haired breeds I have much less trouble with. It all depends on the person and the dog, I think with shorter haired dogs the dander finds its way onto your skin and in the carpet much easier than a long haired dog who needs bushing to completely release the "dust" from the coat.

Oct 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
    My mums the same,She is highly allergic to short haired dogs. We are now getting a westie in march.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Two things:
    Allergies can vary from person to person it would be wise to have your mom visit the new dog before she commits herself to one.

And second, while Westies may be hypoallergenic, they themselves can suffer from skin allergies. They are notorious for it.
    Another good reason to visit said kennel before purchasing a puppy.
    Get a feel for the breeding pairs care and any health issues.
    A kennel owner who would not agree to having their kennels visited by prospective owners is not one that I would get a puppy from.

Nov 1, 2012, 04:13 AM
    Thanks, my mum doesn't seem to be allergic to westies and we are getting a adult dog from a rescue centre.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The western border of tanzania is defines by a ________ and the northern border is __ [ 2 Answers ]

The western border of tanzania is defines by a ________ and the northern border is ______. A) natural boundary, man made. B) river, the ocean. C)lake, a natural boundary. D)river, a line of longitude.

One of my 2 male collies began to defecate in his room recently. [ 0 Answers ]

They are 3 years old and from the same litter. They have been neutered. They have not fully resolved the alpha issues yet. The most probable alpha is the one who is "going" in the room. He also goes in the morning on the morning walk. But he is then crated, and goes within 3 hours in his crate. We...

Hypoallergenic dog food. [ 22 Answers ]

Hello, My dog was diagnosed with a food allergy just the other day, I bought Medi-call Hypoallergenic HP dog food. The vet recommended it, but like all thinks bought at the vet it is VERY expensive, I was just wondering if someone knew a cheaper brand of hypoallergenic dog food(And if you've used...

Collies feet [ 3 Answers ]

Our 13 year old collie keeps getting very sore pads which puts her out of action for several days. We have tried all sorts to over come this problem. She has a good home cooked diet. And not usually a couch potato. We don't won't to have her put to sleep.she has been a super dog and compaion...

Collies feet [ 1 Answers ]

My 12 year old collie suffers with very sore pads apart from keep taking her to see the vet and giving her antibiops is there any other treatment you can recommend I now feed her a good diet of home cooking meat and veg she has always enjoyed her walks now it is just to empty out

View more questions Search