Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmikl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Inheritance tax
    Recently, my wife's parent died and left among other thing an IRA in the amount of ~ $400,000 to be divided between 4 daughters.

My question is about personal tax liabilities. Since this is an IRA and the original holder was > 70.5 years of age we were told the distribution needs to continue. I would like to receive a lump sum but am worried about tax liabilities Federal and NYS. Is there a deduction for a lump sum or anything that can eliminate or reduce the personal inheritance tax? Any suggestions on which tax documents to read?

How about Florida? Anyone can advise us?

Thank you all

Cheers:confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 08:48 PM
    You are NOT paying inheritance tax.

You are paying INCOME taxes on the monet from the IRA which was tax-deferred.

There IS an option of rolling the money over into your own IRA, but that has to be handled correctly. Go to a local tax professional with experience in IRA rollovers. Make sure he/she is aware of the new law that allows this rollover.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance tax [ 11 Answers ]

My father recently passed away. My siblings and I are trying to take care of our inheritance. The big questions I have are: what is the federal tax withholding on inheritance, does CA have a state tax on inheritance, and how do all these things get managed? I want to know what percentage of...

Inheritance tax [ 1 Answers ]

My mother left her four children an estate worth roughly 1.2 million in a family trust to be split equally 4 ways. There is a 1st TD on some property, a house, and approximately 200K in CD's and cash. Three of the four children life in California and one resides in WA. Will we pay any state or...

My father recently passed away, and we received $70,000 from his estate. Do we have to pay taxes on this money?

Inheritance tax [ 5 Answers ]

I live in N.H. and my father has just passed away. He has left me part of his estate. He is married and I have one brother. The estate is to be divided as follows. His spouse is to get 50% of all assets and my brother and I are to get 25% each. His total assets are as follows. Approximately...

Hi, I am so confused with misinformation I hope you can help. I am a resident alien living in the US (in Colorado) and have been here for 23 years. My mother, who lived in England, died recently and her estate is being divided between me and my brother. Our share of inheritance tax has been taken...

View more questions Search