Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danpearce Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Moving out due to roommate disputes. He is not moving. What about my deposit.
    My roommate and I are both on the lease. Our first year is up and lease is month to month. We do not get along so I am moving. (He asked me to leave too) I notified the landlord I wanted to term lease and move. Landlord will not term unless we both do. Told me, He would not give me my deposit because he cannot properly inspect house if we both do not move. Do I have any recourse to get my deposit from the landlord or my roommate?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by danpearce View Post
    My roommate and I are both on the lease. Our first year is up and lease is month to month. We do not get along so I am moving. (He asked me to leave too) I notified the landlord I wanted to term lease and move. Landlord will not term unless we both do. Told me, He would not give me my deposit because he cannot properly inspect house if we both do not move. Do I have any recourse to get my deposit from the landlord or my roommate?

Yes. You wait until the premises is vacated and then sue either the landlord (if it's not returned) or your roommate (if it is returned) for your share.

The deposit doesn't come into play until the property is vacated and there is or isn't damage.

You don't need your landlord's permission to move if you are month-to-month. You give notice within the same time frame you pay rent (usually one month) and move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate not on lease, moving out, but says she will pay rent [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, my question involves a roommate in a state of FL. In July, I moved into a 2-bedroom apartment where a friend would move in with me after she turned 18 next month (August). I signed the lease & let the landlord know that a friend would be moving into & renting the second bedroom. She has...

Roommate moving out [ 2 Answers ]

I living in toronto. I am the only one who have the lease of the apartment that I renting and I want my roommate ( she is payment month by month )to move out. My roommate she told that she going to move at the end of her last month of rent. What happen if she does not want to move out. Please I...

My Exes friend is Moving in As My Roommate! What do I do about my feelings? [ 3 Answers ]

When my girlfriend broke up with me (NOT a mutual break up by the way, I wanted it, she didnt) she left me with the apartment we got together right before our move in date. I was nice enough to take action to remove her name off the lease so that she would not be stuck with any legal obligation. I...

Can I Sue Roommate For Moving Expenses? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello... Recently my roommate decided to break the lease and move out early. Because I cannot pay her portion of the rent as well I am being forced to find a new place to live. Can I sue my roommate for my moving expenses because she broke the lease forcing me to move when I had no intention of...

Pet deposit implemented after moving in [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in the same apartment for over 6 years. I didn't have a pet deposit when I moved in, but I think they implemented it a few years ago. I've been going month-to-month for about 3 years, and now they want me to sign a new lease. In the lease, it mentions a $500 pet deposit,...

View more questions Search