Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lengkyx Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Sep 23, 2012, 03:30 AM
    What can I do to make an old Aunt happy?
    My Aunt always had a problem keeping a helper. She lives alone in her house and although she's still tough, she's getting old so she really needs one. She has kids but they all have their own family now but they always visit her especially during the weekends.

She can be nice to the helper but she easily gets mad and never a day went by without her saying mean things. Just one kind-hearted kid was able to stay for a few months. Everyone else wanted to leave after a few days. She even slapped one of them in the face.

Her youngest daughter already stopped looking for replacements.

My mom, her sister, never gave up sending one after another. It's been going on for at least two years now and I'm afraid it's always going to end up the same way.

I can see the stress it's causing everyone, my mom wouldn't say anything, she's not usually one to complain especially when it comes to family, her daughter is getting really exhausted and embarrassed, and my Aunt remains unhappy.

Whenever I visit, she's always bugging me about mom not visiting her. She's mostly happy when my mother's around that I'm beginning to think she's the solution to the problem. Mom said she treated her like her own daughter. But my mother lives too far away and neither of them wants to leave their own house for good.

How else do you think we can resolve this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 23, 2012, 03:51 AM
    Not a thing, stay out of it and leave it alone, You visit and help and do what you feel you need to.

Some people are hateful at times, My mom would not keep someone one day normally.

Someone needs to tell her not to slap anyone, or she could end up in jail.

But she is going to be mean, that is how she is to others, obviously they are not doing it her way, or she really does not want a helper.

You can't make your mom visit if she does not want to
    lengkyx Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Sep 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
    @ Fr_Chuck: Thanks for answering. I guess I'll visit more often and prepare what I'm going to say when she asks about Mom again. Haha. It's embarrassing that now you said it, it seems kind of obvious to me now. (facepalm)
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 23, 2012, 06:20 PM
    I agree that you can do very little but visit and do the best that you can to make her happy while there.
    But rather than kind hearted kids, has your family looked for assistants that have nursing background, or people that work with nursing agencies.
    No doubt the elderly can get crotchety, some people have a knack for it, most do not.
    The ones that have the knack do it because they love it and possess a certain ability to soothe the savage beast, so to say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why doesn't he make me happy? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am in a relationship for three years. We were very good friends in the beginning, spending our time together and I guess we started to like each-other at the same time more than friends. He was not my ideal guy in the terms of appearance, but he seemed he has a good heart. He listened to...

How do you make pancakes using aunt jemima flour? [ 1 Answers ]

Want to know the recipe

Can't make her happy [ 12 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for 9 years we have a wonderful son Jacob who's 6 She is the most difficult person to make happy, no matter what I do it is never good enough. Every thing I say is contested, so my son see's this and does not listen to me as well. He is constantly saying "Moma said...

She has to be happy in order to make me happy. [ 20 Answers ]

Around August 5th of last year, my girlfriend and I broke up for the first time. We spent the next two months on and off.. until we got back together in early October. Things have been great since then... until the last couple of days. I sensed that something was wrong, and today it was confirmed....

I don't make my g/f happy [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, You may know me from such posts as "My Girlfriend Likes Red Ink". I have been with my g/f for two years almost and things are bumpy. Apart from her self harming, which I have already discussed in the above post. She seems to find different things to over do, such as drinking, sheesha...

View more questions Search