Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
    Pine trees
    I have a pine tree that I purchased 15 years ago and planted in my small backyard. It has split into two trees and is over 22 feet tall. Can a pine tree be trimmed down to about 10to15 feet and can I cut off one side without killing the other?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 22, 2012, 04:17 PM
    Yes, you can trim it down but will lose the shape of the pine tree; and yes, you can cut one off without losing the other, but then you are losing the 'personality' of the tree. Do you have a landscaped yard, or just a yard with the pine tree in it?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
    Pine trees do not resprout like deciduous trees do. You will have a flat topped tree that will grow wider but look pretty ugly.
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2012, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yes, you can trim it down but will lose the shape of the pine tree; and yes, you can cut one offno without losing the other, but then you are losing the 'personality' of the tree. Do you have a landscaped yard, or just a yard with Ithe pine tree in it?
    No landscaped yard. Just a small yard with one tree in it. It's mostly cement and brick.ll
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Sep 23, 2012, 11:25 AM
    Cutting down a 22 foot tall pine tree to 10 feet is probably best handled by a professional tree crew. Ask the tree company for their opinion. Seek an arborist who can give you an opinion on the health and safety of the tree. Read a book or scan the internet - proper pruning is a mix of art and science.

Many pine trees exhibit a strong apical dominance. When you cut the top off the main trunk (the dominant apical meristem) of a pine tree, you cut off the leading point and the source of auxin, a plant hormone that inhibits other branches from growing as the main trunk. The result is bushy growth, as other growing points try to become the main trunk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bumble bees in my pine trees [ 0 Answers ]

Why do I get so many bumble bees in my pine trees at the beginning of spring and end of summer?

Trim pine trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a60 ft pine tree that I want to trim up About 3 feet from the ground. Will this harm the tree

Bees in my pine trees [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lot of bees that are in several of my pine trees. How do I get rid of them without hurting my trees?

My green pine trees [ 2 Answers ]

Can an Austrian pine tree be watered too much? I bought these 3 weeks ago and have watered every day thoroughly, now the green needles are falling off. I see no signs of pests.

My pine trees are killing everything. [ 1 Answers ]

What is it about pine trees that nothing will grow under or around them? I have three kind of scraggily pine trees in the fron yard, and I want to plant other things. What can I use to replenish the soil so that I can have a garden out there? I live in zone 24 on the western garden map. (that is...

View more questions Search