Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gary63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
    Is this a cocoon? If so what type?
    My wife found this thing in the decorative rock after I had cut down some large juniper bushes next to our house. It is brown and has a "tail" on one end. I assume that it was hanging in the bushes. I don't think that it lives in or on the ground because it has no legs. The segmented end opposite the "tail" end moves when touched. It is about 7 cm long or about 3 inches long. Any one know what it is?
    Attached Images

gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Sep 22, 2012, 04:46 PM
    Sphinx moth pupa. Sphingidae species include the tobacco hornworm and also the tomato hornworm.

The tail you see is actually the head end.

It might interest you to save the pupa in a cup covered with saran wrap, and you might wake up one day to a large moth inside the cup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If the mother has a blood type child has o negative what blood type would the father [ 3 Answers ]

If I have a child with O negative blood and I am A positive would the father have to be O negative as well

Entomology--what insect does this larvae/ cocoon (?) come from? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm writing you from Italy, in case this additional information may help in identifying the cocoons (?) in the picture I am sending you. As you will see there are a series of them, and I found them exactly the same way as you see them in the picture. They were all empty but we cracked open one of...

100w type A lamp using Type are bulb? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a type A desk lamp with a 100w max for a small aquarium. I have a 100w Type R bulb left over from a Type R lamp meant for aquariums originally and I was wondering if I could use the Type R bulb in the type A desk lamp? I did try it out for a half hour and I thought I smelled...

Type I and Type II Errors (Statistics and Probability) [ 1 Answers ]

A researcher studying stress is interested in the blood pressure measurements of chief executive officers (CEOs) of major corporations. He believes that the mean systolic blood pressure, of CEOs of major corporations is less than mm Hg, which is the value reported in a possibly outdated journal...

Cocoon Worms on trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have what appears to a worm like thing on my pine trees, they have eaten it completely. What are they and how do I get rid of them?

View more questions Search