Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shine Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Need able addressing legal/criminal issues
    my husband (although we are not "legally married") and i have some issues we are trying to resolve. i am a graduate student and he works from home making jewlery. he has had some past legal criminal trouble we are trying to sort out on a very very very limited budget. i am about to get a job overseas and we dont know if convicted felons can leave the country or get a passport? also and here is the clincher.....he was convicted of forgery, but it really wasnt his fault and he had a crappy public defender, this happend about 4 years ago. he did some work for a guy and the guy wrote him a check and when my husband cashed the check, 3 months later the police arrest him for forgery because the check turned out to be stolen. my husband didnt know and the check was for less than $500 dollars. anyway....he was sentenced to time served and probation and fines. but he skipped out on probation after 6 months for various reasons, anyway what could we do to resolve this situation. he has been living a good clean life and wants to face up to past mistakes, but doesnt want to go to prison or be judged for the rest of his life for something he didnt even do.

thanks for anyone that has good advice.:confused:
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
    What country are you in?

In the US anyone with a warrant or who cannot leave the country because of being on parole (if leaving the country is forbidden as a condition of parole) will be denied a passport, they check your name against a list of people who are to be refused a passport, the link below will give all the details.

Passport Information for Criminal Law Enforcement Officers

If he has skipped out on his probation and never took care of it he may have more problems than just being denied a passport.

Mar 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
    We live in the US, in the south. What can we do to clear up his mistake, though?
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 01:32 PM
    If he violated some term of his probation there may be a warrant for his arrest, he might consider turning himself in... I don't know, if the situation is the way it sounds I don't know exactly how he could avoid charges.

Mar 9, 2007, 01:39 PM
    He has no warrants, we checked.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Well then unless he's on parole and the parole papers specifically say he can't leave the country he should be able to get a passport
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinebut
    doesnt want to go to prison or be judged for the rest of his life for something he didnt even do.
    Hello Shine:

He didn't abscond from probation?? I think he did. You said so. I don't care what put him on probation, but he split. That's a crime. He's a wanted man.

You checked if there was a warrant. Why do you think whomever you checked with told you the truth? Actually, they don't tell the truth, because if they did, they wouldn't catch a lot people who have warrants. I believe your boyfriend HAS a warrant.

You don't want him to be judged for the rest of his life, but you don't mind his hiding for the rest of his life. Hiding sucks, and it doesn't work either. You're an example. Some time or other, you need to raise your head.

If it were me, I'd hire an attorney in the county where he split from. That's the only way this is going to be resolved.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criminal History [ 7 Answers ]

I have been told that after a 10 year period - a person does not have to disclose their criminal history on employment applications. Can anyone confirm this statement.

I'm not the criminal [ 4 Answers ]

Confused: Is there any forums available that could help me deal with my feelings on the way my twenty-four year old daughter has chosen to live her life? She has been in jail two times for shoplifting. Drugs are involved, she won't work (couldn't pass a drug test)! She has gone such an extreme...

Errection issues or Attraction issues [ 3 Answers ]

Folks! - I have a problem. I'm 26, my girlfriend is 20 - We both hold eastern values (for the most part) and I've been with her for about 1 year now - we've been having regular sex everyday pretty much for about 8/9 months now - and by regular sex I mean sex every day, sometimes couple of times...

Legal Issues [ 19 Answers ]

Here's an interesting one. This thread has got me thinking about legal issues. Do we have a lawyer on this site anyway? What I'm curious is - what happens (and I admit this is a loooooong shot) we inadventantly tell somebody how to obtain something illegally. In the case of the mention...

View more questions Search