Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdm415 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
    Physics
    In an action movie, a helicopter with the heroes on board is seen escaping from an underground bunker inside a volcano. The Volcano chimney is 605m tall. The helicopter is moving up with a constant acceleration of 10m/s^2. the villain realized of this and shoots the helicopter with a cannon. If it took the villain 10s to prepare the cannon and shoot, What is the minimum speed the cannon ball has to have to hit the helicopter?

what is the minimum speed the cannon ball has to have to hit the helicopter?

Assuming the cannon ball is shot at exactly this minimum speed, what is the cannon ball speed when it reaches the helicopter?

The pilot of the helicopter manages to maneuver it safe from the cannon ball. As you expect the cannonball will reach a maxium altitude and fall back down. How long will it take for the ball to return to the bunker?

**This is all I have so far:
    t=0; when the cannonball is launched
    t of cannonball= -10s
    acceleration of helicopter= 10m/s^2
    acceleration of cannonball= -9.80m/s^2

**I just don't exactly know which direction to take but these are the equations and solutions I have:
    V=at+Vo
    0m/s=10m/s^2(-10s)+Voh
    Voh=100m/s

Xh=1/2at^2+VohT+Xoh
    605m=1/2(10)(-10)^2+(100)(-10)+Xoh
    605m=500-1000+Xoh
    1105=Xoh

***Am I even on the right track to end up with the answers needed?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2012, 12:12 PM
    I don't quit understand what you were trying to do.

In v = u + at,
    v = final velocity,
    u = initial velocity,
    a = acceleration,
    t = time.

From what you tried, you are saying that at t = -10 s, the final velocity of the helicopter (which is accelerating up at 10 m/s^2) is at rest, and you are finding it's initial velocity. That doesn't sound right to me.

You need to think about distance and time here (for the cannonball to reach the helicopter).

In time t seconds, the helicopter will he 605 m high. We can use the equation:

ho = initial height (0 m)
    h = height (605 m)
    u = initial velocity (0 m/s)
    t = time elapsed after the villain realise whatever is happening (Note that I added 10 s because the helicopter has an advance of 10 s on the villain and I'm keeping the variables you started with).
    a = acceleration (10 m/s^2)

We know that the helicopter must be at rest when it starts, it hasn't yet taken off at t = 0 s, hence why u = 0 m/s. Does it make sense? You can find t.

The next equation is about the cannonball. At time t seconds, the bullet is h m high.

ho = initial height (0 m)
    h = height (605 m)
    u = initial velocity
    a = acceleration on ball (-9.80 m/s^2)
    t = time (which you got above).

This should give you the first part.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics [ 3 Answers ]

In an action movie, a helicopter with the heroes on board is seen escaping from an underground bunker inside a volcano. The Volcano chimney is 605m tall. The helicopter is moving up with a constant acceleration of 10m/s^2. the villain realized of this and shoots the helicopter with a cannon. If it...

All about Physics [ 2 Answers ]

A 75.0 kg. firefighter climbs a flight of stairs 10.0 meters high. How much work is required?

Physics [ 1 Answers ]

Sue and Jenny kick a soccer ball at exactly the same time. Sue's foot exerts a force of 41.4 N to the north. Jenny's foot exerts a force of 102.7 N to the east. a) What is the magnitude of the resultant force on the ball? b) What is the direction of the resultant force (measured from East)?

View more questions Search