Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UncloudedEyes Posts: 47, Reputation: 0

Sep 20, 2012, 04:23 PM
    Are all AA meetings religious?
    I'm an alcoholic and I really want to get help. Just that AA meetings seem so religious and I am an Atheist. I just don't think it would help me to listen to things I only half believe in. Are there any similar groups around that are not religious?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
    I have attended open meetings and have several family members who are in AA. I've never thought of it as religious. Members are encouraged to name a Higher Power and that can be God or your spouse or yourself or even your dog -- someone or something to whom you promise to be responsible and accountable.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Yes, I would never call AA religious and know some church groups that have issues with them because they consider them non christian.

They do go for a moral value of actions and for a higher power, but while this is religious in that since I don't see them as religious at all.

I will say this, most people will try to find 1000 reasons not to get help, could this be the real issue.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by UncloudedEyes View Post
    I'm an alcoholic and I really want to get help. Just that AA meetings seem so religious and I am an Atheist. I just don't think it would help me to listen to things I only half believe in. Are there any similar groups around that are not religious?
    AA meetings (groups) are designed to address the issue of alcoholism and the problems that attach thereto. Whether such activities can be assigned to religious motives or direction is entirely subjective. More importantly religiosity is entirely irrelevant.

Based on your personal assessment: "I'm an alcoholic and I really want to get help" I quiz why would you want to question the motivation of those offering such help? If you were hungry would you question the religious affiliation of those offering food? If you're injured in an accident do you request credentials of those responding? No! It's not important.

There are many alternatives to AA and I heartily recommend exploration of each (if you would like a list just ask). In the meantime don't reject AA on the basis of other interpretations... it's entirely subjective.

If I, or this site, can be of assistance to you in direction to the most appropriate resource(s) for assistance in your particular case, just ask. We can work with you to the extent of pointing you in the right direction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 21, 2012, 12:28 AM
    Most meetings are held in churches, just because there are not many Atheist groups that are offering them a free place to hold meetings.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2012, 12:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Most meetings are held in churches, just because there are not many Atheist groups that are offering them a free place to hold meetings.
    Precisely!
    UncloudedEyes Posts: 47, Reputation: 0

Sep 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes, I would never call AA religious and know some church groups that have issues with them because they consider them non christian.

They do go for a moral value of actions and for a higher power, but while this is religious in that since I don't see them as religious at all.

I will say this, most people will try to find 1000 reasons not to get help, could this be the real issue.
    It's not that I don't want help. I'm just looking for an alternative support group to join other then AA.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
    It's not that I don't want help. I'm just looking for an alternative support group to join other then AA.
    You're looking for wiggle room?
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2012, 03:09 PM
    Rational Recovery, Inc (RR). Does not conduct meetings but emphasizes self-recovery practices through an array of publications, material related to counseling, guidance, and direct instruction for addiction. It is “counterpoint to Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and twelve-step programs” in general. They recommend staying away from “recovery groups of all kinds” and substance abuse counselors as well. It was founded in 1986 by Jack Trimpey, a California-licensed clinical social worker. Trimpey is a recovered alcoholic that works in the field of treatment of alcoholism and other drug addictions.

Secular Organizations for Sobriety (SoS) is another “alternative to AA” basically removing the religious components that many find objectionable in AA, i.e “turning your will and your life over to a Higher Power”. It is no less based on the total abstinence model. The group has been around since 1986,

SMART Recovery® states that participants learn tools for addiction recovery based on the latest scientific research and participate in a world-wide community which includes free, self-empowering, secular and science-based, mutual-help support groups. This group emphasizes that it is non-12-Step, and is recognized by American Academy of Family Physicians, as well as the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)* and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)*. (agencies of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 21, 2012, 03:35 PM
    What makes you think that AA is a religious group?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Voting at union meetings [ 0 Answers ]

Our union won't let us vote on issues if we're not at the meeting. I would like to be able to absentee vote. There is nothing in our bylaws saying that we can or can't. Is it normal not to let members absentee vote on any issues or votes?

From Religious Affiliation to No Religious Association [ 17 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if there are people here who have chosen to leave a certain religious community and did not replace it with another...like going from Christianity to atheism for example... If so, what was it like to tell your family? Did they push you away, try to change you, or accept...

Skip Level Meetings [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - this is 888444. Needed some information on the skip level meetings. What kind of questions/structure should one have while conducting skips? What is the process? What are the do's and don'ts of doing it? Regards

The advantages or meetings [ 1 Answers ]

What are the advantages of meetings? Why do we need meetings ?

Is meetings important [ 8 Answers ]

Hey every one! I want to know is meetings improtant in a relationships.. my boy friend wants to meet me I I don't want this I am scared something bad colud happen or my parents whould know this they will get hurt but I love this guy what should I do should I meet him..? once I told him OK we will...

View more questions Search