Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kirsten Slatten Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2005, 02:07 PM
    Installing Central Heat & Air
    I have a 100 year old, two story ranch house, with NO insulation. Currently all that warms the house is one wall heater and one (seperate) A/C. I want to install a central heat and air unit. My question is: Do I need to install the central Heat and Air PRIOR to putting in insulation? Or can this work be done at a later (less rainy) time? There are no air ducts in the house, no basement and no attic, just small crawl apaces. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated. The house is approximately 2200 square feet total. Thank you.
    bmeier Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2005, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten Slatten
    I have a 100 year old, two story ranch house, with NO insulation. Currently all that warms the house is one wall heater and one (seperate) A/C. I want to install a central heat and air unit. My question is: Do I need to install the central Heat and Air PRIOR to putting in insulation? Or can this work be done at a later (less rainy) time? There are no air ducts in the house, no basement and no attic, just small crawl apaces. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated. The house is approximately 2200 square feet total. Thank you.
    Kirsten,

You can install insulation after installing the central heat and air, and you probably want to in this case, since the ducts will either be running in the attic or crawlspace, and for effiency sake the ducts better be insulated to. You can insulated everything at the same time.

Of course, keep in mind that until the insulation is in place, the central heat and air will be more expensive to run.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2005, 12:04 PM
    How are the walls constructed? They are conventional stud walls? Could they be the older, balloon frame construction? It has the same 2 x 4's running from the foundation to the roof. Much easier to run ducts up to the second floor. The full 4'' wall cavities will make things easier too. Today's 2 x 4's are 1 1/2 X 3 1/2. Modern construction uses 92 1/2'' high studs with base and top plates and a layer of floor for each story in the wall. Much harder to run a duct through.

Go with the heat and air conditioning first. It is much easier to run ducts through uninsulated walls. Where are you putting the furnace? I like my crawl space location, but it does complicate venting. You do need access for changing filters.

You need a vapor barrier and air infiltration barrier as well as insulation. You could have insulation blown into the wall cavities, but cold air could still blow through the outside sheathing, the insulation , right to your plaster, and then through any cracks or holes in it. Water vapor can go right through plaster and insulation, finding a point between the warm house and the cold outside where it condenses, running the insulation and maybe rotting the wood. Vapor barriers and air infiltration are difficult retrofits. You might look at injecting foam. I think the past problems with it have been solved. The older material with the out gassing problems have been banned. It is more expensive, but may be the only good solution to an older house. Otherwise, to do it right, you would have to strip off either the outside siding, or all the plaster on the inside. If it is a balloon framed house, you will have to seal each wall cavity top and bottom to hold the insulation in and stop air infiltration. Get more than one estimate if you can. If the contractor looks puzzled when you bring up balloon framing, find a more experienced one.

Don't set the air conditioner compressor near the dryer vent. The lint will clog it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Central Air [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a less than 2 year old Trane furnace and central air system. I noticed that my outdoor unit was full of leaves, dirt etc. I took the compressor cover off to clean it and when I was done I switched the breaker back on. Now the compressor fan runs when the a/c unit thermostat is off. It...

Central heat [ 1 Answers ]

The other day my central heat quit blowing hot air. I can feel cool air and the thermostat will be set at 72, but the temperature never raises higher than the temperature of the house. Does the thermostat need to be replaced or is it a wiring problem or something wrong with the actual heater? I can...

Too much condensation w/ central gas heat [ 2 Answers ]

I knew something was wrong when I came home and all my windows were fogged up. I do live in Alabama- it's been raining all day and is 41. When the gas central heat comes on it's like a sauna! What's going on?

Central heat and air [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on installing central heat and air in my home. My question is.. Where does the return need to be? And what size should the ducts be from the plenum to the rest of the house?

View more questions Search