Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delaneyjsjr98 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Closing out my 401k from a former employer
    Last year my employer laid me off I still have a 401k plan with them.. It is managed through Merrill Lynch. I want to know what the reason would be for them to deny me closing the account and withdrawing all the money.I know about the fees and penalties. I have asked them twice to do this and they have told me I have to wait 5 years.I am 53 presently unemployed and need money to pay my car off before it is repossessed. It is my money and just under $10000Any legal advice would be appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
    None, if you are fired and no longer employed, if your status is still "layed off" and you are subject to being called back to work, then you are still an employee and can not get the money until you are no longer an employee.

Sep 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
    I am no longer an employee was basically fired for low sales.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 24, 2012, 05:51 AM
    There is no reason why they would deny your request, unless the administrator is not aware that you are no longer an employee. It may be that your ex-employer's contributions to your 401(k) has a vesting period, but even so, that shouldn't affect your ability to withdraw your own contributions.

I suggest you call the admin and have them explain the precise rule in the plan that prohibits you from taking a distribution. Also ask if there is any rule against you rolling the account over to an IRA. This is one of those things that active employeees can't do but ex-employees can - so if they continue to stonewall you can roll your account to an IRA and then take withdrawals from there. Finally it seems you are aware but just to make sure - remember that you will owe ordinary income tax (federal as well as state/local if applicable where you live) plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty. The amount that the admin automatically withholds for federal taxes is 20%, which may not be sufficient for federal taxes dependng on your adjusted gross income for the year, and they do not withhold anything for state/local taxes. So be sure to keep enough cash to be able to pay the tax man next April.

Sep 24, 2012, 06:55 AM
    Thanks for the info.I just called Merill Lynch again about this. Dillards know I am no longer an employee but in the fine print I have to wait 5years for any cash out I cannot Rollover to any other plan and it is fully vested,this is utter BS and doesn't help me any but Thanks for the info.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 24, 2012, 07:06 AM
    That fine print sounds illegal to me?

Sep 24, 2012, 07:17 AM
    Hi It sounds very illegal to me.I said M Lynch but I should have said Wells Fargo.(Go figure).But saying that it is Dillards plan,I just need to wait another 4years then I will be 57 and for sure going to Close out the account.Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 24, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Could it be that this 401(k) plan is actually a "Roth" 401(k) - that is, one that is funded with after-tax dollars but does not generate any income tax upon withdrawal? Roth 401(k)'s do require a 5-year waiting period for withdrawals of the company contribution plus any earnings (otherwise income taxes are due), but you should still be allowed to withdraw your own after-tax contributions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closing 401k [ 1 Answers ]

My husband recently lost his job and we were looking at closing his 401k account to help while he looks for a job. He has about 50000 in currently and about 6000 left on a loan. What would the penalties be for withdrawing. We live in Nevada with no state taxes.

Closing 401k [ 1 Answers ]

Apology in advance for the repetitive question but I couldn't find a topic specific to my situation. I am thinking of closing my 401k to pay back some urgent debt and to move. I have successfully avoided this for some time but now there is no choice. The balance isn't that large, about...

Closing 401k [ 3 Answers ]

My son-in-law opened a 401k this year. His company told him that they are not getting a christmas bonus this year (they usually get a sizable one) and they are in need of money for taxes, christmas, etc. He asked about closing his 401k so he could use the money from that, but they told him he...

401k Closing [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to close my 401k early and I just need to understand what steps I need to take

Closing my 401K? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm laid off from my place of employment and I'm currently in college full time. I need more money than I'm drawing on unemployment. My home, truck, debt and utility bills are more than I'm drawing. The only source I have is my 401k... I took a loan out earlier last year from the...

View more questions Search