Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Paying mortgage in home country
    Hi,

I moved to US in Aug 2006 on a L1A visa, can you advise:

1. Since I don't meet the substantially presence test, do I need to file in April? Even if I don't need to file in April, can I elect to file in April as NR?
    2. I pay mortgage in my country of citizenship, Jamaica, and was wondering how I should treat with this.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 12:10 AM
    You need to file as a non-resident alien for 2006. You CANNOT claim mortgage interest as a non-resident alien.
    anup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Thanks ATE,

You all are awesome. This site is very informative.

Regards,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-refinancing my home mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently refinanced my home (3 weeks ago). I refinanced from 6.875 to 5.625%. We do not close until the 29th, 4 more days. Since I received the rate of 5.625, I've noticed the rates have dropped another 1/2%, and now down to 4.875 to 5.25 with not points (in my area). I...

Home Country Pensions contributions validity for IRA [ 1 Answers ]

I am on L1 visa. I contribute $800 per year in a pension plan at my home country (India). Can that be claimed as IRA contribution for US tax purposes ?

Mobile home mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I get a mortgage for a mobile home

Paying Judgement before home is taken [ 1 Answers ]

CONFUSED Hi!! I just joined "askmehelpdesk" because I am seeking ANY possible answers to my question. I have a judgement against my home that my significant other of 26 years was named in. He passed away and now I am the only one left. I have been told that 5 years from the original date of...

Home mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased a home at the beginning of December. We financed the home with an 80-15-5 mortgage. The term is 30 years. Fifteen percent of the mortgage is through a home equity loan in the amount of 25K. I received a coupon booklet for the payments and the payments are $89 per...

View more questions Search