Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Mar 9, 2007, 09:18 AM
    New mom with 3 week old:-(
    My bαby keeps fαrting... α lot... even in her sleep. I don't know why she's doing it αll of the sudden... cαn I help her to stop or pαss αll the gαs?--- does it meαn she's going to be colicy?! :( new mom--pleαse help:confused:
    heather83 Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Mar 9, 2007, 09:52 AM
    She'll be fine--my son did, and still does the same thing. If he starts getting really gassy, and just seems uncomfortable, I give him a little bit of the baby gasx stuff, milocon--i can't spell it but I'm sure you know what I mean. Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? We had to change my son's formula because he wasn't taking the other stuff very well, it made him really gassy where his tummy would get really hard and he wouldn't eat anymore even though he still was hungry.
    You could try changing her formula--see if maybe that might help. And you can always talk to your pediatrician.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 10:31 AM
    You don't say if you breastfeed and this could be an important part of your baby's flatulence. Don't forget, when you are breastfeeding whatever you eat or drink directly effects your breast milk.
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 9, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Something I use to do to help them pass gas when my boys were babies was lay them with their wee little bellys against me and rub the little backs it helps get rid of it
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Oh, yes, rubbing their back is a great idea. My kiddos like to lay on my lap while I gently bounced them or rocked them back and forth.

Again, Sarai, are you breastfeeding? I think that was asked, but I may have missed the answer.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 01:45 PM
    I think all babies are pretty gassy. My son use to fart all the time. And it was SO loud. In fact, I was in church one day, and he farted so loud, that the people several seats in front of us heard him, and some people even turned around to look at me. I was pretty horrified by the fact that people thought it was me, but it was one of those " you just have to laugh" situations. He was gassy, but he wasn't colicy, except for a few times. The only thing that worked for me was walking back and forth, gently bouncing him as I went. The bouncing seemed to help loosen up the gas and cramps, and that soothed him. They also have gas drops that you can give to baby's, but I never tried them, so I don't know how well they work.
    -

Mar 10, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Yeα I αm breαstfeeding.. but I'm αlso formulα feeding αs α supplement α.k.α when I'm too lαzy hαhα... but she's not tαking αny effect to the formulα because she still hαs greαt BM αnd no rαshing out etc. Just αll of the sudden she stαrted pαssing gαs.. αnd I thought thαt mαybe if she dosen't pαss it well it'll stαy in her αnd she'll become colicy --since colic deαls with gαs (right.. jeeze this bαby crαp is confusing!)
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2007, 12:11 PM
    I went to webmd, and looked it up for you, and will just paste it here for you. Hope this helped.
    Colic-Overview
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Could be then, if you are breastfeeding and/or offering formula, this could be the cause of the extra gas. Here is a website for you

Mayo Clinic medical information and tools for healthy living - MayoClinic.com
    heather83 Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Mar 12, 2007, 07:13 AM
    You also need to keep in mind that what you eat, your baby's going to be eating also. Boccoli and onions made my son really gassy. So you may want to just take a look at what you're eating and try to change things up. If you notice that when you eat brocolli she farts more than usual, that's probably the culprit. It doesn't mean you have to stop eating it, but at least it may help to pin-point in a broad way what might be causing it.
    zelda Posts: 83, Reputation: 0

Mar 31, 2007, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saraispiel19
    my bαby keeps fαrting... α lot...even in her sleep. i don't know why she's doing it αll of the sudden...cαn i help her to stop or pαss αll the gαs?--- does it meαn she's going to be colicy?!? :( new mom--pleαse help:confused:
    My baby always did nothing but fart and he ended up with colic... if you worry about that.. feed her lactose free or soy formula
    Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zelda
    my baby always did nothing but fart and he ended up with colic...if you worry about that ..feed her lactose free or soy formula
    But not without the advice of your pediatrician!!

Mar 31, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Lactose free formula including isomil does not harm a child
    Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 04:52 PM
    But you should NEVER change a child's formula without the advice of a pediatrician.

Mar 31, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Oh god no.. I plan to start my new baby on isomil and keep him on it to prevent colic because my first baby really suffered... do u have any idea what may cause colic
    Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 05:03 PM
    You should start your baby on what your doctor recommends. But let him know of your concerns.

Colic is a form of gastric upset, there are many reasons for it, some may be attributed to gas, acid reflux and the like.

Let your doctor be your guide.

Mar 31, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Thank you
    -

Apr 1, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Well my bαby's fαrting stopped! Thαnks αnywho :)-- she's now 6 weeks--well 7 on wed. (the 4th) xoxo
    tsch0232 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 10:55 AM
    My baby has gas, reflux, and colic. It is horrible.
    -

Apr 30, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Omgsh- I αm so sorry for youu-- colic is like non-cureαble (I heαrd) reflux? Mm mαybe you should wαtch whαt your eαting (if your breαstfeeding)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom and Step mom in hate! [ 6 Answers ]

My mom and step mom are not getting along. It all started with a stupid gift card! Out of all things. My card only had $3.45 on it and my brother only had $.19 on his. The cards were soposed to have $20.00 on it. My mom and step mom live one house away from each other and then they just get into...

What is with this week? [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone else been having a drama-filled week? UGH I just need to rant a little bit... Too start, my ex and I have been on talking terms again.. no arguments for a while, and I was getting to like him (not in a way to get back, just seeing the guy I fell for in the begining). At one point he...

Help for Mom [ 2 Answers ]

My family seems to be going in three different directions when it comes to religion. Both my parents are Jewish, so I was raised Jewish but was baptized into the Lutheran church about 6 months ago. My father has explained his belief as that "an intelligent life force created the universe and then...

My mom [ 2 Answers ]

About 3 years ago my family adopted my three little cousins. Gage will be 6 in January, Frankie will be 5 in April, and Gabe/Baby-G will be 3 in January. My aunt (my moms sister) is addicted to too many drugs to name and her children were taken away by children services. Its been really hard on me...

One more week [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I just had to make a new post... :rolleyes: My Dr appt went really well today. The u/s and weight assessment was about five and a half pounds for each of the babies. I'm at three cm and it really doesn't look like I'm going to be progressing into labor anytime soon... :( Sooooo... I'm going...

View more questions Search