Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zazzy123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
    My parents do not approve of my boyfriend!
    Hi, I'm 22 and I have just graduated from university. I'm British Indian and in my culture it is custom to start looking for a partner at a young age. My parents think this is a ripe age for me to start looking for a potential husband.

However, I already have a boyfriend (we've been going out for three years) and love each other deeply and I want to marry him. He is sweet and caring and one nicest person I have ever met. My parents however do not approve of my relationship or my boyfriend as he did not go to university and doesn't have a well paid job. I understand where they are coming from, as I know they want the best for me.

My parents have struggled financially to raise me and my siblings and they do not want the same life for me. They want me to have a husband who can provide for me and not have money troubles in the future. I'm in a dilemma, I have no idea what to do. Should I stay with my boyfriend or should I follow my parents advice. Is money really that important in life or does love conquer all?

By the way, although he is a nice person, I don't think he is going to take his career further as he is not particularly ambitious.
    thomasgirl2012 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2012, 11:05 AM
    I am in the same sitution as you. His parents don't apporove of me and my parents don't approve of him. I would say do whatever makes you happy. If he makes you truly happy than I would say stay with him and don't listen to your parents. Money isn't everything in a relationship. Me and my boyfriend don't care what our parents think we are going to be together no matter what they think. Good luck! Sounds like you have a great relationship
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 19, 2012, 12:45 PM
    There really is a practical side to what your plans are with someone for the rest of your life. You haven't said what your ambitions are, only what your parents' are, and that your boyfriend doesn't have any. When the romantic stage moves into the next one, how will you feel? Do you want children, and do you feel that you can be the provider while he takes care of them. Would he want to? Have you two talked about it? Are you on a career path that will assure good jobs with good pay? Is this important to you? Have you two talked about any of this, or all of it?
    I know it sounds like the arranged marriage of old, only arranged between the two of you - and in some ways that is the way it should be. It's a long term agreement, not just love.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2012, 03:32 PM
    You're happy with this guy, so stay with him!

Money will come, don't worry about that.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
    While money is important, make no mistake being happy is a lot more important. Being happy with whomever you marry and share life with is IMPORTANT, be it struggle or wealthy.

It would seem that after 3 years you would have discussed the future, and decided if this nice guy would be a good life mate, or even if you were ready to be married at this time.

My opinion and advice is to build a life that you enjoy, and that makes you happy and leave the wishes of others to conversation only. In this way you can take your own sweet time to chose a husband, and marry when you are ready.

Thats a good thing and you really have to do nothing until YOU are ready.
    Thinklogical5 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2012, 01:00 PM
    I'll make this short and sweet! It's not what your family approves of but it is what you approve of. It's your life and you grown to make your own decisions.. Sooner or later your family will see that your happy and then they will have no choice to be happy as well

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My daughter won't talk to me because I don't approve of her boyfriend. [ 15 Answers ]

My 23 year old daughter won't talk to me anymore because she knows that I don't approve of her current boyfriend. I have done this because I knew him as a friend and co-worker before they were interested in each other. They were meeting secretly since they had I had a good idea I would not...

Is it legal for a 18 year old to date a 15 year old if the parents approve? [ 7 Answers ]

I just want to know if it is legal for a 18 year old to date a 15 year old if the 15 year old's parents say it is OK?

Boyfriend does weed... I do not approve [ 15 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for almost nine months. I told him a while back that I don't want him to smoke weed, and he promised he wouldn't. He recently told me that he had been smoking every day during the summer. Now, we've broken up and gotten back together at least twice, and I don't know what...

Parents/Boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

I started dating a guy about 4 months ago, when he asked what my dad did for a living, I told him that he owns a very large company. Truth is, he doesn't own the company, he just works within it. I don't know why I said it, but since then I've just rolled with it. Now I just feel stupid, because I...

My parents don't approve career paths [ 19 Answers ]

Hey watsup guys? I don't know if this is the right thread but somehow I love posting in the relationship forum! =P Feel free to move this post if necessary. Anyway the problem is that I have an absolute passion for music and I would love to pursue a career in that area. I want to travel and tour...

View more questions Search