Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cebin sojan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2012, 07:16 AM
    Sites for clear electricalo doubt
    My doubt is that,if we touch a 230 volt ac line with out touching ground or neutral line (we are in air),is there occur electric shock to us?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Why are you asking this? Its important.
    cebin sojan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
    When I ask this Q to my clg elect profe he does not answer it corectly,so I am curious to know about it?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Assuming there is NO ground path through your shoes or other item of ANY type... you would not get shocked... but you do not have to touch ground or the return directy to get shocked or electrocuted. ANY return path will do it.. and that's why its dangerous to do.

Being completely electrically isolated is very rare in real life situations.
    HowHardCanItBe Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2014, 08:55 PM
    If you are "in air" touching an energized line(at single point), your body has zero potential difference to the source, and 230V potential difference to earth. Any contact between your body and something grounded will create a circuit through you. The better the connection, the more current will flow and the crispier you will become.

There can be situations, however, where touching the line in two places can create a potential difference between your two hands, creating current flow across your heart. So all humor aside, keep this in the realm of thought experiments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Doubt clearing sites [ 1 Answers ]

Why do moving charges produce magnetic field ? What is the logic behind magnetic field produced in current carrying conductors ?

How can I clear my doubt about my girlfriend? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in a relationship with a girl from last 2 years. Her parents were against us so she left everything for me and had gone to Mumbai. Earlier she was working in Delhi and In Mumbai. She didn’t find any job and I paid all her expenses for 6 months . Now 1 month back she came to Dehradun as she got...

Clear me the doubt I have [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ! This is shanti sree doing graduation in biotechnology.. did we have an option of doing MBA ? Is this couse reallyy offers gudjobs as I'm from lifesceinces background ?

Can you clear my doubt [ 2 Answers ]

What is this body art?am new to this area.

Can anybody clear my doubt. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wonder if I am pregnant... I had bleeding on the periods day... it was heavy on the first day and from the second day onwards,there was no bleeding at all.I have a doubt whether bleeding is implantation bleeding or is it normal periods... I have irritation towards some sounds from then...

View more questions Search