Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hicheong Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2012, 09:25 AM
    Concentration of Unknown solution
    I have constructed a simple photometer consisting of only a flashlight, a simple
    interference filter that transmits light at 550 nm, a silicon photodiode, and a handheld multimeter. Shining the flashlight first through the filter and then through a 1.25 cm pathlength cuvette filled with an aqueous solution containing 543 g/L of compound Q (825.143 g/mol), I measure a voltage of 0.752 V on the multimeter. Replacing the sample with the blank, a voltage of 1.067 V was measured. Determine the following:
    a. What is the transmittance of the sample of Q?
    b. What is the absorbance of the sample of Q?
    c. What is the molar absorptivity of compound Q?
    d. Now, let’s use this previous sample of Q as a standard to determine the concentration of an unknown aqueous sample of compound Q (Unknown Q). A 99.00 mL aliquot of Unknown Q was combined with 1.00 mL of deionized water and photometric measurement gave an absorbance of 0.194. A second 99.00 mL aliquot of Unknown Q was combined with 1.00 mL of the standard and photometric analysis gave an absorbance of 0.333. What is the concentration of Unknown Q in units of mol/L?

For part a, I obtained the transmittance to be 0.705
    For part b, I obtained the absorbance to be 0.152
    For part c, I obtained the molar absorptivity to be 1.85E5 L mol^-1 cm^-1
    How should I do part d? Please help.

Check out some similar questions!

what is the hydrogen ion concentration in a solution with ph=11.27? [ 1 Answers ]

what is the hydrogen ion concentration in a solution with ph=11.27?

Determining the concentration of an unknown solution [ 0 Answers ]

This is not "homework" as such. It's for a science competition and we can do research. Here's the layout and materials given. Q: Experimentally determine the concentration of a solution of Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4). Materials: 5 - standard size test-tubes 1 evaporation dish 1...

Calculate the concentration of NaCl solution (in mol L^-1) [ 2 Answers ]

mass of 50 mL beaker + Nacl = 33.6571g mass of "empty" 50 mL beaker/g = 32.0753g mass of NaCl used/g = 1.5818g Final volume of solution /L= 250mL

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.