Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mh1988 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 06:17 AM
    What determines the social customs and ethics?
    Does technology determine our social customs and ethics ? Or other factors? I think some great ideologists such as Confucius or Hegel may play a more significant role in it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 07:27 AM
    I think technology would play a significant part in social customs and ethics, only from the standpoint of moving forward and acquiring more knowledge. Case in point, the impact of the industrial revolution on Britain.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 08:04 AM
    I can't say that I'd think that ANY one thing would determine social customs and ethics.

Does technology play a part? Of course! But only a part. Society is constantly evolving, and its rules do tend to evolve with technology. Think for example of the types of clothing that are acceptable as everyday wear compared to even 30 years ago, especially in the business world. Much of that is due towhat is shown as acceptable on television... Media through technology.

To go in another direction... think of how acceptable socially it now is to have premarital sex, compared to 60 years ago! Much of that is due to the technology applied in creating birth control. Now that women can at least somewhat control their reproductive rights, the stigma attached to premarital sex, and to being a single parent, has decreased significantly.

So yes, technology influences customs and ethics, but no one thing can determine that sort of societal more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search