Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yosegurl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2005, 10:13 PM
    Feeding 2 dashchund puppies
    :D We just got two 8 weeks old brother and sister doxies, I'm a little confused as to how much to feed them. The breeder said to feed them two times a day, but I didn't catch how much and she is out of town for a week. We are feeding them Purina Puppy Chow and a little Avoderm. This is what the breeder was feeding them. Please help, I want to give them plenty, but not too much. Any help would be great.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2005, 05:09 AM
    Likely a cup a day each total would be about right. Stick with the Purina. I have raised a number of dog guides on it, nothing wrong with it.

Likely they came from the breeder too fat. Do not increase what they are getting until they have a waist. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest.
    You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is
    Different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog
    Must have its food adjusted to its individual needs. See
    http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292.
    presfritz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2005, 09:38 AM
    Fedding my two doxies HELP
    I have two doxies one is 8 months old and weighs 11 lbs. He according to the vets will weigh approx 13 lbs.
    The second is Fritx he is 6 months old and weighs 9 lbs.
    The are eating Flint River Ranch all natural food rice and millet. No wheat and no corn. I have been fedding them each a 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening. Still starved eating everything they can find. The bag states 1/2 cup daily if I do that I am afraid they will be chewing and stealing everything in their path. How much is too much.
    :)
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2005, 02:40 PM
    Many puppies come from the breeder fat and used to eating more than is good for them. They will gleefully continue to over eat until their early death. Read my previous answer. Whether they are happy with it of not, you must adjust their food to where you can feel the ribs. Too much is not something the package or somebody on the net can say. You can only go by their ribs. Even with the best chow, too much of a good thing is bad for a dog.

Feb 15, 2005, 08:38 PM
    Eating habits
    I am not sure what to do.. I now add a lot of water to their food hoping that will help fill them up they have resorted to eating their feces... due to the fact it freezes. I pick it up immediately after but if I miss one the next thing I know is welll...
    Also at what age can I expect they will be house broken the nine month old is pretty good but the 7 month old will go out and come in to poo.
    Help :(
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Feb 15, 2005, 08:56 PM
    From my housebreaking tips:
    Choose a command and spot you want it to use. The less accessible to strays,
    The less chance of serious disease. If it is a female, choosing a
    Non grassy spot will avoid brown spots later. When you bring it home, take it
    To the spot and give it the command in a firm, but friendly voice. Keep
    Repeating the command and let the puppy sniff around. If it does anything,
    Praise it. Really let it know what a good dog it is and how much you love it,
    And maybe a treat. Note, being out there not only means you can praise it,
    But it also keeps it from being snatched by a hawk. If it doesn't go, take it
    Inside and give it a drink and any meals scheduled. A young puppy will need to
    Go out immediately afterward. Go to the spot and follow the above routine.
    Praising it if it goes is extremely important. If it doesn't go, take it back
    Inside and put it in its crate and try again soon. Do not let it loose in the
    House until it does go.

Being out there and praising the 7 month old may make a big difference in getting him to go outside. Also run him around to stimulate the body and bring on the bowel movement.

Try adding generous amounts of canned pumpkin to their food. This will help 2 ways. It will help fill them up without adding calories, and make their stools distasteful. If the pumpkin doesn't work try grapefruit juice or one of the commercial additives, Forbid or Deter.

Obedience train them too. Sometimes it isn't an accident, but a control issue.
    Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

Feb 16, 2005, 09:46 AM
    Thank you
    Going to try the pumpkin... I watch and praise and love them but then they poo in the house. I will try the don't go crate method. And purchase the pumpkin tonight.
    Thank you for the advice
    Presfritz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dashchund Trouble [ 5 Answers ]

We recently got a dashchund from a rescue(four days ago). He is a year old, and mostly housetrained. The problem is that he cannot stand for us to leave or to be alone at night. He cries and scratches on the door constantly. The biggest problem is that he gets so excited when we get home...

Miniature Dachsund Puppy Feeding [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of food should be given to a 5 week old mini doxie? I want to do whatever I can to prevent my little puppy from having long term back problems and need help on feeding

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

Feeding 2 week old puppies! [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, Are beagle had puppies just about 2 weeks ago, 2 really good size a 1 a runt. We have been bottle feeding them since the first day , cause are beagle had a C-secntion and we did not want to put her more pain.. I was wondering at what age can they drink/eat on there own... AND

My poodle humped on my dashchund! [ 4 Answers ]

I've Never been so shocked! My poodle is 5 months old and my dashchund is 5 months still.. and they are both male! How could that have happened? Is my poodle GAY(! ) or he is just horny? I'm so distraught! :confused: :eek:

View more questions Search