Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WBEE Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2012, 06:50 PM
    The bark of my mulberry tree has somehow been removed from all around the base 4"
    My Mulberry tree has suddenly lost it's leaves, I examined and discovered a 4 inch bark removal around the trunk at the ground.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2012, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WBEE View Post
    My Mulberry tree has suddenly lost it's leaves, I examined and discovered a 4 inch bark removal around the trunk at the ground.

If the question is "why" I would suggest it's been girdled by an animal, possibly a rabbit.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
    If you are near water, don't discount a beaver. They are a real problem on the lakes and streams in GA.

Sep 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
    Thank you... I believe you may be correct.. the rabbits are very thick this year. However, I think this will kill the tree.. am I correct, or is there something I can do?
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2012, 05:44 AM
    Once a tree is completely girdled there is nothing to do.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 17, 2012, 05:50 AM
    Try wrapping it in saran wrap and duct foil wrap (the super shiny stuff, not duct tape) then Gorilla tape. I'm not claiming success, just desperation to try anything.

Sep 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
    Thanks MA0641, I figured that the tree was a goner.

Yea Joy I was going to try something,, that might be a good idea.. it sure can't hurt..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WBEE View Post
    Thanks MA0641, I figured that the tree was a goner.

Yea Joy I was going to try something,,, that might be a good idea.. it sure can't hurt..

It can hurt if it seals in insect eggs - if the "feeder" layer has been damaged nothing is going to save a tree.

There is a "paint" that arborists use to seal the tree when it's girdled - but I very much doubt there's a chance if it's girdled all the way around.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
    At our mountain house in GA, we live on a river and are constantly fighting beaver. A tree can usually survive with 3/4 of the cambium layer gone. Over that, it is impossible for the tree to sustain itself. It will slowly die. However, on a positive note I'll gladly send you some mulberry seedlings, I've got plenty.

Sep 18, 2012, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    At our mountain house in GA, we live on a river and are constantly fighting beaver. A tree can usually survive with 3/4 of the cambium layer gone. Over that, it is impossible for the tree to sustain itself. It will slowly die. However, on a positive note I'll gladly send you some mulberry seedlings, I've got plenty.
    Thank you... I am going to remove the existing tree.. Sorry to see it go.. it has bark removed all the way around about 4" to 6" high... I think it is Rabbits.. I believe I can get a yearling that won't cost too much. What would seedlings cost to send to me in California? This time I will put some wire around to protect it.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 01:14 PM
    CA is very strict on what agricultural products, particularly fruit trees, can be imported. Mulberry trees are easy to seed and grow and you should find it easy to get one there.

Sep 18, 2012, 09:59 PM
    CA is very strict on everything... I tend to like the Mulberry tree.. it grows rather quick and has a large canopy for nice shade..

I wish I have noticed the damage to the bark on the trunk sooner I might have had a better chance to save the tree.. It happened during a heat wave so the damage became extensive very quick.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Sep 18, 2012, 11:03 PM
    Mulberry trees are specifically regulated in California to prevent the spread of Pierce's disease. Purchase your mulberry tree locally rather than having it mailed to you. A locally purchased tree will have been grown locally, or will have been imported properly, by the nursery.

A vertebrate pest like the meadow mouse is a potential suspect when a tree is girdled at the crown. Beavers are found primarily close to a perennial stream. Rabbits and rats also like to chew on bark.

UCIPM Meadow Mouse Biology & Control

Sep 19, 2012, 09:02 PM
    I will deal with the local growers for my Trees.. the trees that are grown here are adapted to this environment... I want to thank all the people that made my quest solving the mystery as to what was wrong with my tree... I got up at 3:am and discovered many, many, many rabbits having a party in the vicinity of the trees. I will be putting wire around the base of all my trees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tree repairs using cement at the base of the trunk? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. We have a white pine which is about 20 years old and the bark is pulling away from it at the base and starting to rot... so, I cleaned off the rotten bark and put a thin coat of cement over the area. Is this okay or should I have done something else ? Leo

After a large maple tree limb was removed to the tree, the area is rotting. Is it OK [ 3 Answers ]

We have a large beautiful maple tree in the center of our back yard. Several years ago the local power came through and cut one of the large limbs close to the power line clear to the tree itself. Since then in the years since, the spot has rotted and is not receding into the tree mostly because...

My puppy eats the bark from the planters and later throws up nothing but bark. [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy eats the decrative bark from the planters and then throws it up. Is this bad for her

My Mulberry tree isn't looking too good lately. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Mulberry tree in the backyard. First of all let me tell you I live in Arizona and it's been over 110 for 2 straight weeks. A friend told me to water it.. a lot. I started watering it more often, about 3 times a day. It started to take off and really expand and get wide.. well then I...

Is this bug eating my tree base? [ 3 Answers ]

Something is eating the base of my aspen trees. I've already lost one tree, it blew over in the wind because 3/4's of the base was gone. Someone told me the larva of this bug could be eating the base when they hatch. Any help in identifying the culprit would be helpful... ...

View more questions Search