Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madisonsmommy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 10:01 PM
    child abandonment and adoption
    I have a 1 year old gorgeous little girl. her father is an idiot. Her father and i were together for four years. I became pregnant and he decided she wasnt his. He was there the whole pregnancy and the birth. He became verbally abusive to me and insisted i was pushing a child on him that wasnt his. I have told him many times to go to court and take the paternity test. He told me its not his responsibility and he didnt want to pay for it. I am not too keen on him being around the baby to begin with these days so i haven't pursued the test or child support. I have sent him letters every month for the first six months of her life. I gave him dates and times he could come see her. I have also called him numerous times to get him to come to see her. He showed up one time and brought one of his friends. He stayed thirty minutes and I haven't seen him since. He actually took me to court for "harassment" for contacting him about our child.The charges were ofcourse thrown out. I am now involved with a great guy i have known for years. He eventually wants to adopt my daughter. I forgot to mention her father refused to be listed on the birth certificate. I was wonder what the chances are of him being able to adopt her? Does her father need to be contacted again even though he has made it crystal clear he wants nothing to do with her? Also he has not seen her or paid a penny in a year do u think they will allow her to be adopted???
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Yes you will need to prove he is ( or isnot) the father, and he will need to sign his rights away.

And of course at this point the fact he has not paid is also your fault, you need to file a paternity suit on him in court, and have the court order him to take the DNA test. And then you sue him for child support.

So I am sorry that he has not paid, but if you have not tried to make him, then you really have no complaint there either.

But after you are married to this new love, and the bio father signs away his rights, then he can adopt the baby.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2007, 06:42 AM
    You do have to get the bio father to agree to relinquish his rights. The court may require a paternity test to accept him as the bio father. Once you have married the step father can adopt. Check with Family Court for the forms and processes.

I'll disagree a bit with Chuck here about support. You shouldn't have let the deadbeat off the hook for support, but that's water under the bridge. I see no need to take that step now except if he refuses to relinquish his rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child abandonment [ 5 Answers ]

Could somebody please tell me what the laws are on child abandonment in the state of Pennsylvania? I've looked it up, but I always find it on other states and not the one I need.

Abandonment of a child [ 5 Answers ]

I have a sixteen year old niece that is being raised by her widowed mother. She has one more year in high school and is the captain of her dance team at school and does very well in school. Her mother grauated nursing school 3 years ago and just recently has been accepted to a physician assistants...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it take for a parent to have not seen or made no contact with their biological child for it to be considered child abaondment in the state of Illinois?

Child abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My fathers son has had no contact of paid no support for 1 year, I would like to know if there is any way I can get him for abandonment with out having to retain a lawyer.

View more questions Search