Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carebear0550 Posts: 130, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2012, 02:46 PM
    Any good publishing sites online?
    Are there any good publishing sites online for children? I am 11 years old.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 15, 2012, 02:48 PM
    Publishing what ?

Sep 15, 2012, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Publishing what ?
    For books, and non-such.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear0550 View Post
    For books, and non-such.
    There are lots of vanity presses that want money to print your book, and you have to market it in order to earn anything. Traditional publishers pay the author a percentage of sales. Smashwords is a vanity press, but is free -- but your book just sits there unless you can market it effectively.

Sep 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    There are lots of vanity presses that want money to print your book, and you have to market it in order to earn anything. Traditional publishers pay the author a percentage of sales. Smashwords is a vanity press, but is free -- but your book just sits there unless you can market it effectively.
    Is there any good publishers that will pay me to publish my book(s). Also, that will take me seriously at my young age.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
    Is there any good publishers that will pay me to publish my book(s). Also, that will take me seriously at my young age.
    If your book is any good, yes, a traditional publisher might snap it up. Of course, you have to find that publisher, so will have to send out lots of proposals that are well-written and will piqué an editor's interest.

Sep 15, 2012, 03:18 PM
    If your book is any good, yes, a traditional publisher might snap it up. Of course, you have to find that publisher, so will have to send out lots of proposals that are well-written and will pique an editor's interest.
    How do I find an editor, a publisher, and a literature manager. Seeing, as I was told at my young age I need a literature manager.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 03:35 PM
    How do I find an editor, a publisher, and a literature manager. Seeing, as I was told at my young age I need a literature manager.
    Who told you that? That isn't true if you can write a good proposal and do good choosing of where to send it. You'd have to do the same thing trying to find an agent.

Have you written a book that's good enough for publishing?

Sep 15, 2012, 03:44 PM
    Who told you that? That isn't true if you can write a good proposal and do good choosing of where to send it. You'd have to do the same thing trying to find an agent.

Have you written a book that's good enough for publishing?
    I read that all over the internet and one of our old school librarians told me that I needed one or I just should have one.

Do you know a could place I could send it, and do you have any tips on writing a good proposal?

Well how would I find a publisher/editor/literature manager.

I'm currently working on a novel.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 03:49 PM
    First, figure out what genre the book is in and for which audience. Then make a list of books of the same type and their publishers.

Next, contact those publishers with a mind-boggling proposal you've written in Word. You may have to/want to include a sample chapter or two. The current Writer's Market will tell you the publishers' expectations, what they want in a proposal.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Of course, you won't do any of that until the book is finished and has been edited and is ready for public view.

Sep 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
    First, figure out what genre the book is in and for which audience. Then make a list of books of the same type and their publishers.

Next, contact those publishers with a mind-boggling proposal you've written in Word. You may have to/want to include a sample chapter or two. The current Writer's Market will tell you the publishers' expectations, what they want in a proposal.
    Okay. (It's a fantasy- Sci-fi for pre teens) I'm not sure of any book genres by a publisher. But I'll look.

How do I find the contact to them? Also, How do I wright a good proposal. Okay, either that or I could put in a prologue depending on how long it is.

For the Writer's Market, what is it exactly?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 04:09 PM
    Okay. (It's a fantasy- Sci-fi for pre teens) I'm not sure of any book genres by a publisher. But I'll look.
    Look for other books of the same kind. Then check each title's verso page for the publisher's name (if it isn't on the title page).
    How do I find the contact to them?
    In the current Writer's Market -- or the publisher may have a web site. You want to send a proposal to a person, probably an editor, who works at that company.
    Also, How do I wright a good proposal.
    It's "write," not "wright." That's why you need to have it proofread before you send it anywhere, so you don't have silly mistakes like that.
    For the Writer's Market, what is it exactly?
    It's a book full of magazine and book publishers, their addresses, what they pay for what, contact persons' names, requirements, etc. Your public library has the current edition.

Sep 15, 2012, 04:15 PM
    Look for other books of the same kind. Then check each title's verso page for the publisher's name (if it isn't on the title page).

In the current Writer's Market -- or the publisher may have a web site. You want to send a proposal to a person, probably an editor, who works at that company.

It's "write," not "wright." That's why you need to have it proofread before you send it anywhere, so you don't have silly mistakes like that.

It's a book full of magazine and book publishers, their addresses, what they pay for what, contact persons' names, requirements, etc. Your public library has the current edition.
    So do I just type in editors?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
    I want to say I am proud of you for wanting to become a writer, it is hard but don't give up. Often you will be turned down 20 or 30 times before someone accepts your book and some best sellers were never accepted by anyone and they had to pay to get it published and it sold great, so they were able to sell their next book easily.

Again, if you don't have a book finished, write your book first, get it edited properly. Most publishers will require it to be in specific computer format, some even in specific graphic so look up the publishers and see what they all require.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 04:17 PM
    So do I just type in editors?
    What are you searching for? Someone to edit your book when you finish it?

Sep 21, 2012, 06:01 PM
    Thanks Fr_Chuck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are short stories a good idea before writing and publishing a novel? [ 10 Answers ]

Here are my ideas... I AM writing a full fledged novel that I am planning to self publish as an ebook... I've been working on it for some time and it is going to happen... Last night at work, I suddenly had this idea of writing short stories. Then about writing short stories about my novel...

Online dating sites [ 3 Answers ]

This is probably just me asking to be flamed, spammed, or worse. Oh well, let the games begin. I don't like going out by myself. I visit bars and whatnot, but I am always there with a friend. Thus, I depend on the wonder world of the internet for meeting people. My current dating site of...

Online sites [ 1 Answers ]

What websites are there to obtain my W2 ?

Online investigative sites [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know which of the many ivestigative sites available online is the best? I don't want to pay for information on one site that may be available on another site w/o a fee. I am interested mainly in paying a one time fee for as much information as possible... w/o being referred to other...

Advice on online dating sites [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everybody, I need some advice on what dating service I should sign up, looking around a found a couple of few sites like www.plentyofish.com and www.online4love.com as free sites. Anyone have any luck with free sites in the past. There are so many sites out there which ones are the best to...

View more questions Search