Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Charter School
    I see a lot of low income people love charter schools. I think this class of schools
    Receives public funds. The students do not have to buy anything, like pencils and paper. I guess that is why they have a waiting list. However 5 schools here in Florida did close its door, leaving the children in oblivion, and the parents searching
    For an alternative. Do I have this concept correct?

I have no idea why they closed all five schools?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    I see a lot of low income people love charter schools. I think this class of schools
    receives public funds. The students do not have to buy anything, like pencils and paper. I guess that is why they have a waiting list. However 5 schools here in Florida did close its door, leaving the children in oblivion, and the parents searching
    for an alternative. Do I have this concept correct?

I have no idea why they closed all five schools?

I can only address my area - yes, one (out of several) is attended by "low income" people (I prefer "disadvantaged") because the standard of education is higher. Charter schools can remove a student who is disruptive. Public schools have to go through a list of steps before they can do so.

In my area students still have to buy "pencils and paper." This isn't a free ride. It's an alternative to public (or private) schools.

I have no idea in your area why parents would be scrambling to place their children when a charter school closes. Public schools HAVE to educate children. There is no picking and choosing.

The charter schools in my area are supported by public funds (taxes), just like every other school. They are accredited and licensed by the State but they are free of many of the traditional school rules/regulations concerning hiring and firing. They also have contracts with the public schools and must teach within certain guidelinees (although there is greater freedom than the traditional public schools).

You appear to think that they are some sort of "lower level" school for the poor.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2012, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I can only address my area - yes, one (out of several) is attended by "low income" people (I prefer "disadvantaged") because the standard of education is higher. Charter schools can remove a student who is disruptive. Public schools have to go through a list of steps before they can do so.

In my area students still have to buy "pencils and paper." This isn't a free ride. It's an alternative to public (or private) schools.

I have no idea in your area why parents would be scrambling to place their children when a charter school closes. Public schools HAVE to educate children. There is no picking and choosing.

The charter schools in my area are supported by public funds (taxes), just like every other school. They are accredited and licensed by the State but they are free of many of the traditional school rules/regulations concerning hiring and firing. They also have contracts with the public schools and must teach within certain guidelinees (although there is greater freedom than the traditional public schools).

You appear to think that they are some sort of "lower level" school for the poor.
    Very informative. Thanks I wondered how it works
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 07:53 AM
    Very informative. Thanks I wondered how it works
    Basically, charter schools came about because people were removing their students from public schools due to low- performing testing, drop/outs,and to private schools. The state of CA started funding these charter schools as an alternative way to increase attendance. The state pays a certain dollar amount based solely on attendance to each school. So, if no one attends, the school will not receive any money. When a charter school opens here in CA, they do everything they can to keep everyone happy, in order to keep children in school. They do have guidelines to meet, but they do have more flexibility. If the charter school fails to meet state criteria, their contract is ended, and that school is closed. I know this is wordy, but bottom line, having a child in a seat daily pays the bills. So, free paper and pencils is not unheard of.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
    What wonderful information I am receiving
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
    What wonderful information I am receiving
    That's why we are all here-- to help each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find a grant to teach martial arts at a charter school [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find funding to provide training to inner city youth at no cost to them.

Port 25 is blocked by Charter, any way around it? [ 3 Answers ]

I administer several websites and have been forced to switch from roadrunner to charter. Since the move, I've been unable to send email in outlook using my own mail servers. I think they are blocking port 25. I tried calling tech support and explaining, but I don't think they understand. Is...

Fishing charter business taxes [ 2 Answers ]

My husband bought a boat and started a charter fishing business 3 years ago and since then has not done his taxes and lost all his receipts (gas, fishing tackle, bait, lunch) we really need to get this sorted out what do we do?

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms [ 1 Answers ]

Which activities are governed by the Charter and which are not?

View more questions Search