Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lionsden123456 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2012, 10:38 AM
    Changing industries with an MBA and sales background
    I am 12 weeks away from graduating with an MBA in marketing from a top business school in California. I have worked for the same company now in sales for the past ten years. I would consider myself an average sales person typically hitting quota but never a rockstar hitting the ball out of the park. I have lost passion for what I do and do not have the excitement or energy for the business. I want to change industries and have been interviewing with medical device companies for a few months and have even made it to the final rounds on a few interviews but did not get the offers. It seems now the well is dry on medical device opportunities. I have a list of recruiters that I reach out to every few weeks but nothing has come up. I recently signed up for Medreps.com and Medzilla.com but have not received any calls yet.

I feel my resume is solid since I have a BA and soon a MBA from two well respected schools. Further I have been with the same multinational company now over ten years, have a good track record, and successful proven management experience.

My passion isin marketing and leadership and I want to pursue this type of career. Unfortunately, I feel if I change industries I will not have the credibility to take a management or marketing role and need to start in a sales position and move up the ladder after a few years of proven success. Am I accurate in my assessment? Any thoughts? Also Does anyone have any thoughts of an industy outside medical with high growth long term potential?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
    Do you want to stay in public companies, or are you willing to move into a private or non-profit or government agency?
    lionsden123456 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you want to stay in public companies, or are you willing to move into a private or non-profit or government agency?
    I have only thought of public and have not considered private, non profit, or government. I could possibly be open to it. Why?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
    I'm thinking working for local government in a village or town, perhaps doing something at a public or university library, helping organize and run a charity non-profit. The sky's the limit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The impact of credit card sales, sales discounts, and sales returns on net sales [ 1 Answers ]

Total gross sales for the period include the following: Credit card sales (discount 3%) $ 9,400 Sales on account (2/15, n/60) $ 10,500 Sales returns related to sales on account were $500. All returns were made before payment. One-half of the remaining sales on...

Female music video with her going around the block and changing background [ 1 Answers ]

Female music video with her going around the block and changing background

Introduction letter for hotel sales manager changing hotels [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, do you have a good sample letter that I can email to former clients of mine letting them know that I changed hotels and what we offer vs. the former hotel? Thanks

I am MBA with two years experience in sales and marketing,I need a job in gulf countr [ 1 Answers ]

I am MBA with two years experience in sales and marketing,I need a job in gulf countries,so please help me for the same.thanks.

View more questions Search