Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roddilla Posts: 145, Reputation: 3

Sep 14, 2012, 09:05 AM
    Slow INternet
    Lately ( about 2 weeks ago from now) I noticed that the Internet was getting slower. I tried a speed test (Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test) and found that my download speed is 6 Mbps while in fact I pay for 12 Mpbs which means half the speed.
    Not only but an downloadable online game which I used to play (EA FIFA ONLINE 2) suddenly also started to take a long time to load.

What I want to know is how can I gain back speed. I tried a lot of things - I ran antiviral scans, defragmented the hard-drive, carried out a disk clean up and also changed the DNS server to the Google one. I also found some programs which were supposed to speed up the connection but to no avail. I also carried out a registry clean up.

Is there anything I can do?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 14, 2012, 09:12 AM
    You need to contact your own ISP if there has been a significant drop off expected speed.
    Also bear in mind that internet connections are sold as UP TO x Meg. This does NOT mean you will get that speed, but your ISP will endeavour to get close to it.
    Roddilla Posts: 145, Reputation: 3

Sep 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
    Well when I connected them they told me everything was well and good. And I appreciate the fact that what they sell is not equal to what I Get but until recently the speed was still different from what it is today
    AnswerMan5000 Posts: 186, Reputation: 3

Sep 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
    Try to DMZ your PC or gaming console via your router config.. this is almost required for Xbox Live/PS network, otherwise you can't connect to games and get dropped all the time.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 24, 2012, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AnswerMan5000 View Post
    Try to DMZ your PC or gaming console via your router config..this is almost required for Xbox Live/PS network, otherwise you can't connect to games and get dropped all the time.
    Putting your PC in the routers DMZ is NOT advisable as it completely bypass any protection that the firewall etc gives to your home network.

Using the DMZ is the networking equivalent of leaving your front door open for all passersby.

A better solution would be port forwarding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet going too slow.help please [ 2 Answers ]

My internet explorer is going very slowly. It sends the "parcels" but only receives 50% of them and sometimes even less. I have contacted my ISP but they say that the connections are fine. This is my desktop which has the problem but another laptop has no problems as I checked both the broadband...

Internet connection too slow [ 2 Answers ]

My internet connection is extremely slow and I almost always get an error message that the page cannot be displayed. This is using IE 7. When using Mozilla the message is that the site is taking too long or can't be found. Comcast was at my house and did a test on my PC and a mac I never use. ...

Home internet has gone really slow [ 1 Answers ]

I have the standard 2Mb broadband connection with Virgin Media. When I had it installed a year ago, it worked fine, similar to the computers I had been using before in the public library. Then, about six months ago everything changed speed-wise, and I now have to click on everything half a...

New computer, internet VERY slow [ 1 Answers ]

My brother just got a new PC, to replace his very old laptop. Right when he got it, the whole house's internet went very low, it took me about 10 minutes just to register + start this topic. We have 4 laptops and 3 computers connected(usually was 5 laptops 2 computers), and now it's just horrible....

Slow internet [ 4 Answers ]

When I first got my internet it was so fast and now after just a few months it's so slow it takes like 15 min just to load my home page.Please tell me how I can speed it up or what may be causing it to run so slow. Thank you

View more questions Search