Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rc666 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2012, 04:31 AM
    making own scaffolding
    Hello!!
    I Have to paint my house outside. There is an area about 18ft high I need clean and then paint. I'm planning to build a scaffolding of wood. Sample, 4 2 x 4 x16 and 4ft x 4ft x .75in plywood on 12 ft of higth.
    Did anyone do something like this? How to make such scaffolding? Any ideas?
    Some picture would be halpfull.
    "one picture is worth 1000 words"
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2012, 04:47 AM
    How about renting some scaffolding... its cheaper than building one... and you are far less likely to kill or maim yourself if your homemade one fails.
    rc666 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2012, 05:23 AM
    That is a good idea. Thanks.
    By the way, would you please give me $200, I woud be able to rent a scaffolding.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rc666 View Post
    That is a good idea. Thanks.
    By the way, would you please give me $200, I woud be able to rent a scaffolding.
    You are going to spend a lot more than that for wood to build one that's strong enough. And dozens of times more in hospital bills if its not strong enough.

Or you can use a ladder.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
    Smoothy is right. You will need a lot more material to build your scaffolding than you have listed. While you may be able to build the scaffolding for a little less than what you can rent, you will have to tear it down and rebuild it every time you want to move it.

Probably cheapest and most workable thing would two extension ladders and two ladder jacks with a walk board between. Be better to have three ladders and two walk boards to prevent having to move things so often. Ladder jacks are not that expensive, if you have or can borrow a couple ladders.

Walk board should be at least a 2x10'. A 2x12 would be better. No longer than 10' to 12'.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 13, 2012, 05:50 PM
    Next just four legs will not work, you will need cross sections for support and also a diagional support.

Four legs alone will just fall within minutes of getting on it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

" making it right " [ 3 Answers ]

If the fax's in a court room, were explained wrong or not explained at all? Do I have the right for appeal. Plus if there is a workman comp award to me for my person ingury an was not comingle is that award idem is personal property.

Industrial/Scaffolding Piercing Question... [ 0 Answers ]

I'm 14 and am thinking of getting an industrial in one of my ears, I have short hair, so in theory it shouldn't hurt as much in the healing process right? Also another question is.. I play rugby. I don't have any games or anything full touch until the end of September, so would that be okay? I am...

What would you prefer.. Happy making 50K a year or unhappy making 100k a year [ 10 Answers ]

I have a job interview on 5/7/10 with a medical sales company and this is a question in know they will ask. How should I reply?

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice [ 1 Answers ]

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice

98 accord making clunking noise when making hard left turn [ 3 Answers ]

My 98 accord ia making a clunk, clunk, clunk sound when making hard left turns. It only does this with left turns a slow speed like making a u-turn. It actually seems to make the car bounce a little with each clunk. It is definitely not a clicking noise. I have just put a prelude h22 engine with...

View more questions Search