Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babybeeps38 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Landlord agreeing to breaking lease. One tenant on lease not living in house
    I am an Ohio. Landlord who rented a house to an unmarried couple w/ 4 biological children. There was a domestic dispute-father left house-am not sure if there is a restraining order in this case. Mother is having a tough time paying rent on her own. I agreed to allow her to break her lease-without penalty- to move into a cheaper situation. I am requiring her to pay Sept. rent in full-then will refund her time not occupying house is she leaves before the end of the month. Security deposit will also be refunded minus if any clean-up/damages are involved. I think I am being fair. The father is no longer occupying house. He also signed the lease along with the mother. Can I rent the house to new occupants and can a new lease be legally written up? What if the father comes at me and says he wants to live in the house? I know he cannot afford the rent on his own and I am not willing to add another renter to lease if he finds a roommate. I agreed to rent the place to the COUPLE-due to the fact that neither could afford the rent without the other's income. They were not intended to be roommates co-leasing-but I took them as an unmarried couple. What can I do? Do I have to lose $ and legally wait until lease expires? Please advise.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 13, 2012, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeps38 View Post
    ... I agreed to rent the place to the COUPLE ... They were not intended to be roommates co-leasing-....
    You are conradicting yourself. Did you rent to both of them or not? If you did, you will need either a release from him or a breach (when he fails to pay next month's rent in full) before you can lease to someone else. You may also have a problem giving her the deposit.

Sep 13, 2012, 06:52 AM
    Would I be able to give 1/2 deposit to each tenant? I would like to use that as a "carrot" to get him to sign a release. I may not be able to contact him. When Oct's rent is not paid-that's all it takes to legally sign new tenants?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 13, 2012, 07:00 AM
    Would I be able to give 1/2 deposit to each tenant? ...
    No. Write the check to both of them. Make them sort it out. Mail it to the last known address.

... When Oct's rent is not paid-that's all it takes to legally sign new tenants?
    Then you give him notice (3-day pay-or-quit in many places).

Sep 13, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Thank you for your time & help. I appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NJ: Evicting Tenant Not On Lease Living in Family Owned House [ 4 Answers ]

Trying to get some help for my parents. They own a 2 family house. They live on the first floor and rented out the second floor a couple of years ago. A lease was never signed, so the family living on the second floor are living there month to month. My parents want to evict them because of the...

Extend Lease however Landlord not agreeing [ 7 Answers ]

Extend Lease however Landlord not agreeing I live in Jersey city, NJ. I had an original lease of a year that I extended for another year, which is coming to an end. I now want to extend by only 3 months as I am moving out of state / country. However, Landlord is only agreeing to increase rent...

Can a landlord sell the house before the tenant lease is up? [ 2 Answers ]

This house has five people living in it (including us) and is so run down from partys and the landlords not doing up keep. We have been living in a collage house for almost three years now and now are expecting a baby and wish to break the lease. They are telling us that we are unable to break the...

As a Landlord, reporting tenant breaking lease to credit bureau [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this site and was hoping to gain some insight and knowledge. My husband and I are just beginning our journey of obtaining rental properties. We currently have 5 units and recently had signed a 12-month lease with a potential tenant. She was just about to move in and pay her lease...

Breaking a year lease by tenant and not returning security deposit by landlord [ 23 Answers ]

I live in Florida and I had to breake my 1 year lease after 8 months and gave a 1 month notice to my landlord. I found another tenant to rent the property after my moving out and the landlord promised me to return the security deposit. After I found myself the new tenant for the landlord and...

View more questions Search