Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    d4d Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2005, 08:01 AM
    Windows XP login failure/ boot freeze
    I'm running windows xp pro (sp2) and I now have this problem where the system stops responding on the Microsoft xp picture/ logo just before the log on screen appears. I have tried to boot in safemode, but the only difference is that I can then use ALT+TAB to see that two tasks are running:
    "Log on to Windows" and "Windows Logon". If I select the first, no response, and if I select the second, I can't even switch again.

I have run chkdsk via the repair console, but the disk seems fine.
    Any ideas?
    hbr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2005, 02:32 AM
    I think this is due to a wrong letter drive, did u put any new disk or partition.
    I've got the same probleme after a rescue of my NTDLR passing by the rescue console change my letter drive, and windows freeze just before log in too.

Did u resolve your problem now.

(sorry for my poor english, but I'm french.. )
    h119 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 02:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by d4d
    I'm running windows xp pro (sp2) and I now have this problem where the system stops responding on the microsoft xp picture/ logo just before the log on screen appears. I have tried to boot in safemode, but the only difference is that I can then use ALT+TAB to see that two tasks are running:
    "Log on to Windows" and "Windows Logon". If I select the first, no response, and if I select the second, I can't even switch again.

I have run chkdsk via the repair console, but the disk seems fine.
    Any ideas?

I am having the same problem.

It happened after I exchanged the drive letters for C and D, because windows was installed on D and my files were in C.

I modified HKLM\System\MountedDevices and exchanged the C and D keys?

Any help??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Get the Client login name? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all, I need to get the Client system login name to display in each client pages.. I have tried following code it display nothing.. :( You are <%=Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")%> Please anybody suggest right idea to solve this problem.. jena.

Disk Boot Failure [ 7 Answers ]

I'm running Win 98 on my spare PC and never get a problem until tonight, when I switched on, a message appeared as follows: "Boot fron Atapi CD-ROM Failure. Insert System Disk and press Enter" I switched the PC off then on again and eveything is fine. I'm concerned that it may happen again, what...

Windows xp won't load/boot [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my windows xp boot. When I try to boot windows I get the screen that says: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file. I would appreciate all your help. ...

How to setup SMTP with id and pwd login [ 1 Answers ]

How to setup SMTP with id and pwd login... pls help... thks!

View more questions Search