Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zenship Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Trap in sewer main
    I have a cast iron sewer main in an older home. Just where it exits from under the house, it takes a 90 degree turn downward, then 180 back up, forming a trap. I've never heard of a trap in the main line. Is this normal? Will it lead to clogs? Seems that solids would tend to accumulate at the bottom of the "horse-shoe". Should I eliminate it. The main is about 6 inch diameter, but it is reduced to about 4 in. where it is coupled to PVC leading to street.
    calvin Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Mar 8, 2007, 03:17 PM
    The only reason I can think of this originally being fitted is that on its return up it doesn't reach the same height as the house end therefore preventing water entering the house through old inadequate sewerage systems in the street and being flushed out by the top feed of water leaving the house therefore not trapping anything as such if this is not the case and they both are at the same level eitherside of the bend then I see no harm in replacing it but then again " if it aint broke dont fix it "
    InspMO Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zenship
    I have a cast iron sewer main in an older home. Just where it exits from under the house, it takes a 90 degree turn downward, then 180 back up, forming a trap. I've never heard of a trap in the main line. Is this normal? Will it lead to clogs? Seems that solids would tend to accumulate at the bottom of the "horse-shoe". Should I eliminate it. The main is about 6 inch diameter, but it is reduced to about 4 in. where it is coupled to PVC leading to street.
    House traps were used years ago. They are not permited by today's plumbing codes. As long as it works, your OK.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zenship
    There was a time when whole house traps were the norm.

If it were me, I'd remove the running trap, especially if you've upgraded any of your plumbing fixtures in the past decade -- The lower consumption fixtures tend to lack the velocity to push solids through a running trap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trap in main dwv [ 1 Answers ]

Prior to exiting the foundation my main dwv drops approx. 13" then continues out to the septic tank. Is this enough slope to prevent any clogging if a running trap were to be installed? We've got an odor problem coming from the vents & I'd rather not extend the vents any higher or use the "odor...

Main dwv trap [ 2 Answers ]

Our old septic sys. Failed this summer & the new tank is 60 feet from the house. Old tank was 200 feet away. We now have odors apparently coming through the main dwv out the roof vents and accumulating at ground level. Would a trap in the main dwv prior to exiting the foundation work? I'm...

P-trap to outside sewer line [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing an above ground swimming pool and have been told by the city that we must install a permanent drain line / p-trap to the sewer lines. My husband called a plumber and thought he understood what he needed to do. Now the plumber has come to the house and said it is done all wrong...

Do washer drain pipes need a sewer trap? [ 1 Answers ]

My hubby has moved our washer and dryer and it works - mostly. We have some soapy foam coming out of the top of the drain pipe. He raised the pipe and we have less, but still some soapy foam. I wish I had checked your forum earlier as I've learned that washers drain with a lot of pressure. ...

Sewer trap cover [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, We have a terra cotta pipe in our front yard leading down to the sewer lateral line (is this called the "sewer trap"?). This pipe has, until recently, had a round terra cotta cover on it... eight inches in diameter and 3/4" thick in this case. Clay being what it is, this cover has...

View more questions Search