Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssweeney1994 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Bunny was abandoned by Momma
    HI, I was weed wacking my yard & accidentally hit a bunny nest. I must have hit one of them because he came running out of the nest. My mother picked him up to make sure that I hadn't injured him & placed him back in the nest. We covered it back up as best we could & did the twig test. Well momma came back & took 2 of the 3 bunnies away, but left the one that I hit with the weed wacker. We found him trying to stay warm next to the pool so we brought him inside & placed him in a box with towels & a heating pad under it to warm him up, it was only about 50 degrees out & we were afraid that he would freeze. His eyes are open & ears are up so I guess he must be about 3 weeks old. Is it normal for the momma to abandon 1 of her babies? We searched everywhere for the other 2 that were in the nest, but cannot find them. BTW the mommas has been living under our shed for several years so she knows the yard. Should I release him back outside or wait a few days to make sure he's not injured? & what should I feed him? Thank you!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
    If you release it now it will die... it has the smell of a human on it and the mother will reject it for that reason alone.

Someone else will have to comment on what to feed it and how often...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    If you release it now it will die....it has the smell of a human on it and the mother will reject it for that reason alone.

Someone else will have to commEent on what to feed it and how often...
    Yes, rabbits are like that. Once one bunny has acquired human scent, that one will be abandoned.

Alty, our bunny person will see and advise.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yes, rabbits are like that. Once one bunny has acquired human scent, that one will be abandoned.

Alty, our bunny person will see and advise.
    Not just rabbits... but most other wild animals too. Particularly prey animals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should I do about my baby momma? [ 13 Answers ]

I have known my baby's mom since 2007. We had a baby girl in late 2009. I got her tested to make sure even though I knew it was mine because the army made me. Because I joined the army we have been having a really difficult time. She broke up with me when I joined. She got pregnant after I...

How to get over your baby momma [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 24 and don't normally have this problem but... I have a son that's about to turn 1. His mother and I met in college about 5 or 6 years ago and had friendly sex on and off through the years well as you can see we had a child. So when I found out she was pregnant about 6 months into the pregnancy...

Think Momma [ 1 Answers ]

My Dog had to go to the vet to be seen after giving birth to a still born 36 hours after giving birth late Thursday night. She had a couple of shots and an X-ray and has been issued an antibiotic. Now she is panting a lot and has a bloody discharge is this normal?

Define abandoned - landlord has right of access if premises abandoned KRS 383.615 [ 4 Answers ]

Lease requires tenant to notify landlord or its representatives if not occupying the premises for more than 1 week (e.g. vacation). Tenant has not been seen for more than 2 weeks. In KY, KRS 383.615 allows landlord access if tenant abandons or surrenders the premises. What defines abandon in...

New momma [ 9 Answers ]

I have a cat that started labor and delivwered one kitten at about mid and it is now 11:20 she has no distress happy and calm are the others in danger if she doesn't deliver soon?

View more questions Search