Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Sep 11, 2012, 05:23 AM
    Retailer wants to turn me to collections unfairly
    I purchased a TV from a local retailer. After about a month I returned the TV because I did not like its picture quality. Retailer refunded my money as I paid in cash. After one week the retailer called and said the screen was damaged and he wanted me to pay for the set as it was "totaled". I tried explaining to him that the set was inspected when I returned it and no damage was found. Now he is threatening to turn me to collections and I am very upset. Even though he has my name and address, he does not have my SS number. Can he report me to credit agencies without this number? If he damages my credit, can I sue him ? Many thanks.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 05:27 AM
    What country was this? What state or provence? I hope you still have your receipt that they accepted it, as any visible damage should have been acknowledged by them at that time.
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Sep 11, 2012, 05:39 AM
    Maryland, USA. I do have the return receipt and nothing about damage is noted on it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 11, 2012, 05:44 AM
    He is blowing hot air. Hang onto the receipt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 05:49 AM
    Keep all the paper work, he may turn you over to collections, if he does, send them a letter in writing that there is no valid debt and not to contact you again.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    I purchased a TV from a local retailer. After about a month I returned the TV because I did not like its picture quality. Retailer refunded my money as I paid in cash. After one week the retailer called and said the screen was damaged and he wanted me to pay for the set as it was "totaled". I tried explaining to him that the set was inspected when I returned it and no damage was found. Now he is threatening to turn me to collections and I am very upset. Even though he has my name and address, he does not have my SS number. Can he report me to credit agencies without this number? If he damages my credit, can I sue him ? Many thanks.

He doesn't need your SS money in order to attempt to collect from you or report you to a credit agency.

I agree - he's pressuring you, and he's bluffing.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    ... Now he is threatening to turn me to collections and I am very upset. Even though he has my name and address, he does not have my SS number. Can he report me to credit agencies without this number? If he damages my credit, can I sue him ? Many thanks.
    There is a difference between "collections" and "credit agencies". The former are outfits which make their money by harassing you until a debt is paid. The lattter simply keep tabs on whether you pay your bills when due.

And yes, he may be able to report this matter to a credit reporting agency even without your social security number.

If he reports it to a credit agency you have the right to correct the story with the full and accurate facts. Take advantage of that right and your credit rating should not be adversely effected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Antique Collections, Gun Collections, Paperweight, Clocks, Scientific Instruments, [ 8 Answers ]

Background: My Father was an incredible man who truly made an indelible mark on History. He had a very successful career as a mechanical engineer. Dads career took him all over the world. In his travels throughout the years, he managed to accumulated a small fortune in Antiques and...

Unfairly evicted [ 1 Answers ]

I Moved My Trailer To A Piece Of Land My Friend Gave Me.then She Passed Away B4 Getting It In My Name .now Her B/f Won't And He Wants Me To Move. Do I Have Rights Due To The Oral/verbal Agreement Between Her,myself,her B/f And My B/f. It's Only 1 Acre Of Land But It Was Given To Me By A Very Dear...

Unfairly Illegal [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who came here from South America when she was 15 with a passport to live with her grandmother and two aunts. Her mother was supposed to follow her here to live in the U.S. and file her papers to make my friend legal. Her mother never came, and now my friend is 18 and illegal. Is...

Treated Unfairly [ 3 Answers ]

I saw an ad for a roommate and I got the room. After six months, the roommate felt she can afford the rent on her own and wrote me a letter to move out in 30 days. I have never been late with the rent and now it is so hard to get a room and start moving out. She never told me I was there for just...

Billed unfairly? [ 3 Answers ]

I rent a house and am resposible for my own fuel costs. 2 months ago a fuel company filled my tank without me even calling or opening an account. The rate they charged me was 20 cents cheaper per gallon than any other company. I paid the bill and asked for the tank to be topped off again. A new...

View more questions Search