Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mama drama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2012, 04:11 PM
    25 with controlling parents
    I am in love with a guy who my parents hate and they didn't have a problem with him till he showed interest in me! I'm 25 and live with my parents for reasons I couldn't help I have a 3 year old and the guy is wonderful to the both of us! He also has a child! Well my parents try everything they can to make it so I don't see him. And tell me I'm being a bad mom by dating again and they just hear rumors about him all of which I know are not true and call him a whore and all this stuff but I'm in love with him and they say if I date him I choosing him over my family and maybe I should think about there feelings. But they don't care that I really like him I'm 25 do I still do what they ask so they don't hate me or be with him because he makes me very happy
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
    My opinion is this. If you're an adult and want to do whatever you want to do, then be an adult. That means getting a job, getting your own place, paying for your own things.

If you live with your parents, then you're still a child and are subject to the rules they make for you.

I'm sure you won't want to hear this, but really, you have options. Move out, be self sufficient, then you can do whatever you want.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
    You are grown and you should be able to date who you want. You need to try and get your own place then you really can do what you want.
    I'm sure they think they are looking out for your and their granddaughter's best interest, but to say you are choosing this guy over them is in my opinion, controlling. Sounds like this happens a lot.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
    So you make plans, get a job, find your own place. If you go on a date, arrange a sitter who is not your parents.

If you live in their home, they can ( not correct) but can treat you like a child.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
    If you keep living at home, then you will keep on being under your parents control.

If money is the problem, then you need to go make some money so that you can be independent. Is the father paying any child support?

I know you want to get back into the dating scene, but now may not be the time for you. I suggsest that you get your life together before getting back into the dating scene.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend Has Controlling Parents [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Everyone I joined this website just so I could ask this question. Let me tell you some backstory about the situation. Im 20 years old and my girlfriend is 19. We were friends for a while until we both started to realize we liked each other more and we started dating in August. Things were...

Over controlling parents [ 12 Answers ]

All right so, I've never done this type of asking before so please bare with me. About 2 years ago my boyfriend and I broke up. We had dated for about two years and lived together for most of our relationship. Our breakup was very painful and stressfull for the both of us. He fell back into drugs...

Controlling Parents [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Im me and my girlfriend are both 21 years old in third year university. We have been dating about a year and a half. I love her so much she means everything to me and I know she feels the same about me. My problem is this: her parents control her so much! She has to call them constantly and...

18 with over controlling parents [ 6 Answers ]

I NEED MAJOR ADVICE either that or something seriously bad will come out of this. K I'm 18 and still in high school I'm a senior and have major problems with my parents controlling me I'm not allowed to sleep over houses on weekdays but I am allowed sometimes on weekends to sleep over places but I...

He has a controlling parents [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there.. I am 19 this year.. I have been with my ex boyfriend for about a year.. we are serious about each other.. so last christmas, he brought me back for a dinner with his family.. things didn't go well.. his parents forced us to break up because they do not like me.. well, he's a very...

View more questions Search