Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missyb44103 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Can a job fire you for any reason while on probation?
    I work at a job that discrimination takes place. I have been working there since may, but my probation is not up till November. It's like if you are not from there area or tell them all your business they will find a way to drag your name through the mud. I am running around there busting my butt, but they still try to find away for me to mess up. The other day they put me on a job that I had very little training and it is a job that you can not mess up on because it deals with inmates, but my point is can my job fire me for any reason while I'm on probation, even if I have little or no training of?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Generally speaking, the answer to your subject line is Yes.

Of anyone has a right to sue for any reason, and can claim that their civil liberties have been violated, but that's a tough case to make for a person in the probationary period in a company who has a probationary period policy that is stated up front.

They just don't have to give a reason for not keeping you in their employ.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2007, 01:26 PM
    You might have a case to show discrimination if they are constantly moving you around to new tasks and each time you have to learn on your own and they always are saying your not good at your job. As above, it would be hard to prove they did anything wrong unless some co-workers could back you saying you were never given a decent chance to do one job and get good at it.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 01:31 PM
    ... or on the other hand, they could easily say that they're trying to find the employees best spot.

Think of it this way: How hard do you want to fight for a job at a company where the people either 1. just don't like you, or 2. run their business poorly?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missyb44103
    but my point is can my job fire me for any reason while i'm on probation, even if I have little or no training of?
    Hello missy:

All the above is well and good, however, they CAN fire you for any reason, unless you're in a protected class, at any time.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reason for applying W7 [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is citizen of india. He is in India. He registered a company in Michigan, US. He wants to fill out the W7 to open a bank account in US. There are 8 choices he can choose. Out of those only #1,#2 and #8 are for non US residents. He is not sure which option to follow. Could you please help...

I quit my job ( had reason) [ 1 Answers ]

I Didn't want to quit my job but I had no choice. Their was a lot of problems all last year. One supervisor was steady on my back. I was steady getting yelled at for no apparent reason. I worked 10 hour shifts as a baker, I always got my job done and my partners job too because he was always late....

Is there a reason that I am still single? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi... I am 31 years old! I am divorced with one child. I have been divorced for 6 years. I was in a relationship 2 months after my divorce for approximately 3 years! Needless to say... the last year of our relationship... he cheated! He is now married to this gal and has a child! I truly...

Probation and a job [ 2 Answers ]

An individual is hired at a job while in a work release center and is placed on probation with the requirement to have a job. If this person is fired from their job, must the employer contact anyone legally? I would greatly appreciate any help that can be offered on this. Thanks!

View more questions Search