Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Asking people to bring their own alcohol
    I am throwing a going-away party for my parents next weekend. They are moving from the town I grew up in, and from the house they have lived in for 26 years.

I got roped into being hostess at the last minute, which isn't MUCH of a problem, just a little bit of a headache!

My question is this: The most expensive part of any party (at least with my family) is supplying beer and liquor. I refuse to do this--I don't feel that people should be coming only to drink liquor at my expense. This is causing an uproar in my family, who all feel that if I am hosting, SOME form of alcohol should be supplied (see why I got roped into hosting? No one wants to pay!). Is there any tactful way to word that beer and alcohol are welcome... IF you bring it yourself? If I were sending paper invites, I would include "BYOB" on the invite, but because it got left to the last minute, I will be calling most people.

Any suggestions on how I can word this so that there won't be additional drama about it?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 01:10 PM
    If you are calling everyone just tell them you'll supply cups and mix the rest is BYOB. If you can swing $50 more dollars buy a single keg.
    calvin Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Mar 8, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Those that you can email and sms to invite then you can add the BYOB in the message and you can send them all the same message which will save you time otherwise just be honest apologise for the lack of funds at short notice but tell people if they are able to then it would be appreciated if they could make a vountary contribution to the proccedings given the circumstances I shouldn't think they would mind
    The other thing is either tell them they can bring liquor or bake something to eat most people are lazy and always like to ensure their own brand of poison is there so will opt for booze every time :-) well hope all goes well and I wish your parents well
    calvin Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Mar 8, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    I am throwing a going-away party for my parents next weekend. They are moving from the town I grew up in, and from the house they have lived in for 26 years.

I got roped into being hostess at the last minute, which isn't MUCH of a problem, just a little bit of a headache!

My question is this: The most expensive part of any party (at least with my family) is supplying beer and liquor. I refuse to do this--I don't feel that people should be coming only to drink liquor at my expense. This is causing an uproar in my family, who all feel that if I am hosting, SOME form of alcohol should be supplied (see why I got roped into hosting? No one wants to pay!). Is there any tactful way to word that beer and alcohol are welcome...IF you bring it yourself? If I were sending paper invites, I would include "BYOB" on the invite, but because it got left to the last minute, I will be calling most people.

Any suggestions on how I can word this so that there won't be additional drama about it?
    Also you can make up a huge bowl of punch using diluted orange cordial (noone will be able to tell ) a few litres of pineapple juice a few of cranberry and a few of the cheapest vodka you can find it taste nice it won't cost much and should last a while

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I bring my mother in law here [ 5 Answers ]

Dear experts I am married to a man from el salvador and his mother is still there and she's in her late 50's and has two daughters with her and she's all alone and I was wondering if there is anyway she can get a visa or something else so that she could come to this country and live with us I am...

Bring Back the 90's :) [ 13 Answers ]

I got sent something on email, which has sent me on a trip down memory lane. The 90's was my era and what a wonderful era to have grown up in. See the below: 1) 10p Mr Frosty Ice Pops on long summer days! 2) Gordon the Gopher! 3) You could do or tried to do the Prodigy step. 'You're no good...

How do I bring the subject? [ 1 Answers ]

I have this girlfriend, we've been together for almost a year, we're both 18 -she's one month older- and when we make out sometimes I feel like I want to give her more, because kissing is not enough for all this love, I really love her, and she sais she does too. Bot I don't know how does she feel...

What can you carry on and what can't you bring? [ 1 Answers ]

What can you carry on a flight and what can not be carried on at LAX?:o

Please tell me my fututr will bring me [ 1 Answers ]

My DOB is 2nd June 1974. I got married on the 10.01.1998 but the marriage did not last long. I got separated on the 31.12.1999 and divorced in Dec 2003. I am currently in love with a guy who is 7 years younger to me . He is born on the 16th.August 1981. I have been going out with him for 3 years...

View more questions Search