Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rag3on Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Smokey Engine and losing brake fluid
    I have a corolla 94 XE and is acting kind of weird.

The engine is taking out a lot of grey or white smoke and its losing brake fluids. I noticed that when the fluid is gone, the smoke is gone too.

What could be the problem?

:confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Your brake fluid may be leaking onto a manifold or exhaust pipe. Find the brake leak first, I'd start with the master cylinder.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Pull the vacuum hose off the booster. I think you will find brake fluid in it. Fluid is leaking out of the master cylinder and into the vacuum section of the booster. Both need repaired/replaced. See if you can pick up a rebuilt assembly.
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Mar 8, 2007, 11:57 PM
    I backup these 2 posts as good advice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 07:56 AM
    In hind sight I wish I had asked rag3on if the smoke was in the engine compartment or coming out of the tailpipe. Both asnwers are plausible depending on the situation. In both cases the brake fluid is leaking from the master cylinder and going somewhere else to burn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nasty smokey smells! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all! My partner smokes in my house. He isn't here this evening and I can really notice the smell! How do I get rid of it? I have tried febreezing everything, I had the windows open for a while but its freezing so I shut them again! :confused:

Losing brake fluid [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1982 Ford F-100 pickup, I am losing brake fluid. Over the past year I have replaced front disc pads, new hoses, rear wheel cylinders, and re-built master cylinder. The front reservoir of the master cylinder constantly goes down. And the master cylinder body is usually wet almost like the...

Losing radiator fluid [ 2 Answers ]

You would think that this would be easy. 1995 Altima is loosing radiator fluid. The only area thats wet is around the overflow tank. All other areas are dry. I've taken the overflow tank off, cleaned it, filled it with warm water and red food dye...no visable leaks. I was thinking that the...

Brake fluid loss [ 9 Answers ]

My 1993 Honda Civic requires topping up of the brake fluid every 3 months due to the light coming on. There are no leaks in the master cylinder and no leaks at the brake pads (I checked all 4 wheels). There is also no dripping of brake fluid in my driveway. This has been happening for 2...

View more questions Search