Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kennystoyo3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Little bugs on my cornsnake
    Ok I have a cornsnake that I bought from a petco about a week ago and he's been acting really funny like he won't drink unless you put him by his water bowl and today I got him out and he has tiny black bugs on him I need to know how to go about this or do I need to take him somewhere also I have a balled python in another tank will whatever the cornsnake has get to my balled python?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kennystoyo3 View Post
    Ok i have a cornsnake that i bought from a petco about a week ago and hes been acting really funny like he wont drink unless u put him by his water bowl and today i got him out and he has tiny black bugs on him i need to know how to go about this or do i need to take him somewhere also i have a balled python in another tank will whatever the cornsnake has get to my balled python?

They are mites. He needs to go back to Petco (which will probably do nothing and dispose of him) and probably ALL of their snakes are infested OR he needs to see a Vet. http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html

"A wild reptile is infested with mites and ticks but, being in its native environment and subject only to the rigors and stresses of an environment into which its species has adapted over millions of years, the ticks and mites present no problem. When a snake or lizard sheds its skin, it also sheds its mites and ticks. While it may eventually become host to another couple of mites or ticks, it isn't forced, as is a captive reptile, into contact with its own shed nor with the hundreds or thousands of mites replicating all through its enclosure and neighboring enclosures...and the carpet, drapes and any other cozy spot found by roving mites.

A captive reptile is under stress from the moment it is captured or boxed up for transport. The stresses and generally unsanitary conditions found in the pet trade are, in and of themselves, unhealthful for the animals involved. Add external parasites to the mix and you have animals who are further weakened. The mites may be tiny, so small that they may be easily overlooked, but they can be dangerous. Watch for them when you are at pet stores buying your reptile or supplies for your reptiles (wood products are favorite hiding places for these pests). Watch for them when you are at the homes of other reptile keepers. Watch for them when you are at reptile expos and swapmeets (most are no better than, and often worse than, pet stores in the way the animals may have been maintained). And watch for them when you handle animals at herp society meetings or when students bring in their own reptiles to share with the class."

Notice that if the snake has mites, so does your house. You need to keep the snakes apart (although it's possibly already too late). Your snake sounds sick. It needs treatment by a Vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't see them bugs [ 4 Answers ]

I can't figure it out. My room is the only room that seems to have these. I just bought this house in Feb. Its an old house built in the 50's, all hard wood floors. I get bit at Night, almost like welps, they don't hurt, but they itch. Its really irritating. There are No bugs to be seen at all....

Bugs [ 0 Answers ]

Black tiny bugs in house, 6 legs, antennaes. Stay still or Crawl quickly up walls, floors, in every room of house. Saw one in the driveway crawl right into the garage. Sprayed but no effect. Squish easily, not crunchy like a beetle and don't seem to want the food.? Live in Florida

Bugs. Please help me! [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the basement of my house, and there's bugs... they are black or brown, depending, and they have like these little horns. BUT the horns are at there end. I'm scared because I haven't cleaned under my bed in quite a bit, and I'm a teenager, so if you know one, this means the under of my bed...

Little Bugs [ 6 Answers ]

The last couple of weeks, I've noticed thes tiny bugs at all of my windows in my house. They were at every window even the ones upstairs. The bugs were also in my bathroom/bathtub. They are so tiny that it looks like a dot just crawling around. I've sprayed and sprayed and I can't get rid of...

View more questions Search