Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gildare1107 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2012, 09:48 AM
    Can a nonbiological father receive child support from biological father
    I have been raising my daughter 6 yrs and her brother 4 yrs. Since 2009 I say her brother because he is not biologically mine. The reason I have them is two things 1. I don't trust her judgement and 2. she works 10 to 12 hour shifts. I don't work because I receive SSI they go to their mothers on the week ends. And she helps very little and when she does she acts as if it's a lot like they don't grow out of cloths $25 here and there isn't nearly enough.she also has a 1 yr old daughter that lives with her. We recently started letting the boy's biological father in his life he goes to his mothers house to see him. On the weekends.she doesn't really pay child support for either one. My question is can I take either one for child support of the boy
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gildare1107 View Post
    i have been raising my daughter 6 yrs and her brother 4 yrs. since 2009 I say her brother because he is not biologically mine. the reason I have them is two things 1. I don't trust her judgement and 2. she works 10 to 12 hour shifts. I don't work because I receive SSI they go to their mothers on the week ends. and she helps very little and when she does she acts as if its a lot like they don't grow out of cloths $25 here and there isn't nearly enough.she also has a 1 yr old daughter that lives with her. we recently started letting the boy's biological father in his life he goes to his mothers house to see him. on the weekends.she doesn't really pay child support for either one. my question is can i take either one for child support of the boy

Where?

Is there any custody or support Order for either of the children?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 06:10 AM
    As the step parent you have no legal rights to the child what so ever, To receive any support you will need guardianship or custody.

Legally since you are not living with the mother ( from the way I read it) legally you cannot even get chld care, medical care or anything for the child.

At this point you are the baby sitter for the chld, nothing more
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2012, 07:43 AM
    I STRONGLY suggest you consult a local Family Law attorney. As Chuck noted you may not have any legal rights to the boy. What is not clear here is whether you were married to the mother when the boy was born. That could change things. It might be possible to obtain support from the bio father, but to do so, he would have to be declared the legal father and that would mean he could obtain custody. So by going to court over this you could lose the boy entirely.

And why doesn't the mother pay support?

Sep 9, 2012, 09:27 PM
    Yup

Sep 9, 2012, 09:29 PM
    All right

Sep 9, 2012, 09:34 PM
    Even though it is my last name he carry's and me he lives with. And no we were never married
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 01:55 AM
    Does not matter what the mother named the child, she could have given the child my name or any name, unless you
    1. are on the birth cerficiate listed as father
    2. have adopted the child
    3. gained guardianship of the child.

The child can not legally live with you. The child's mother or father can show up at your door anytime and demand the child. And/or could even if things went bad, try to have you charged with interfering with custody
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2012, 03:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gildare1107 View Post
    even though it is my last name he carry's and me he lives with. and no we were never married
    The bolded portion is the key. Little else matters. That doesn't, however, mean you can't get custody. Depending on local laws, the fact that he has lived with you and you have provided support for him for 4 years, may matter to the court.

But without going to court, the bio father could file for custody and possibly get it, once he proves paternity. So, again, you should consult an attorney ASAP.

P.S. I have no clue what "Yup" and "alright" refers to. If you use the Reply option it quotes the post you are replying to, Or post a full response explaining what you are replying to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I receive back child support owed to me by my father... [ 11 Answers ]

I am 26 years old and my father had a child support order to pay support for both me and my sister. Every time he got a job and the withholding order went through and the support started getting pulled from his paychecks he would quit his job, he did this numerous times to avoid paying his...

Is a biological mother responsible to repay child support to a non biological father [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of a child was in a relationship with 2 men at the same time, she became pregnant. She married one of the men who has raised the child as his own and now they are divorced and he pays child support. The other man has wanted to know for years (8) if he is the biological father but...

Child Support for a non biological father [ 3 Answers ]

My son is in the Military and resides in North Carolina. His home state is Wisconsin. He is currently getting divorced after a 2 year marriage. He knew when he got married that his pregnant wife may be pregnant with a child that was not is due to "rape". He loved her and decided to be a father. His...

Can I receive rights as a non-biological father to an unborn child? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to be father to an unborn child at birth.

View more questions Search