Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Billy3639 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2012, 12:52 PM
    Sliding patio door
    The bottom rail of my patio slider (20 years old) is being eaten away by something in the cement base. Holes appear along the track and don't know what is causing this to happen. The house has a cement floor.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2012, 12:54 PM
    Likely corrosion...

Sep 6, 2012, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Likely corrosion....
    That is true... but what could be coming up from the area beneath the rail. This is happening to our neighbors doors as well. Who (type of worker) would we get to fix the problem?
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2012, 12:58 PM
    Concrete conducts moisture... it is also corrosive in nature to metals... particularly aluminum if its in direct contact.

Even Wood if not pressure treated will quickly rot in contact with concrete.

What would prevent it (or at least slow it way down) is a moisture proof membrane of some type between the sills and the concrete

Sep 6, 2012, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Concrete conducts moisture...it is also corrosive in nature to metals...particularly aluminum if its in direct contact.

Even Wood if not pressure treated will quickly rot in contact with concrete.

What would prevent it (or at least slow it way down) is a moisture proof membrane of some type between the sills and the concrete
    Thank you, that helps with the issue. We need to have new doors installed and want to be assured this will not happen again.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2012, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy3639 View Post
    Thank you, that helps with the issue. We need to have new doors installed and want to be assured this will not happen again.
    Concrete often contains salts, besides being highly alkiline, consider it conducts water so think of it like putting something in saltwater (not as extreme but that's so you understand some of the chemistry behind it). Wet concrete can actually burn you skin sometimes... it does decrease after its cured and dry and aged long enough...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New sliding door [ 4 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. I am replacing an exisitng sliding glass door, it goes to an outside concrete stairwell. I will have 3/4 inch slate floor on the outside concrete floor (3ft x 5ft) and engineered wood inside, on top of a 3/4 inch subfloor. Do I raise the area under the door sill so it...

Sliding patio door repair [ 12 Answers ]

How do I repair a sliding glass patio door? It is very hard to open and close. I tried to replace the rollers, but I couldn't get the door out of the frame.

Patio sliding door leaking from bottom at sill [ 3 Answers ]

Sliding padio door leaking at the bottom , water leaking on flooor beneath carpet into wood floor then into ceiling of living room below it causing damage to ceiling .

Sliding patio door track [ 3 Answers ]

The track on my aluminum patio sliding doors is curling up on both ends.. . Will a rail topper work for this? Do I remove the old one then put on the topper? Thanks, Troy

Warped sliding glass door frame causes door to stick. [ 5 Answers ]

The center of our 8 foot sliding glass door bends out about 3/8 inch more than the two ends causing the door to wedge against trim that keeps the door from falling out when the door is closed making it difficult to open the door. How do I get the center of the door frame into place so the door...

View more questions Search