Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kfalak34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2012, 09:30 AM
    How to build your confident if english is your second language
    If you learned English how to get over fear and speak with confident in public
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Are you in the US? If not, is there a public library near you? If you can get your hands on simple children's picture books, first read them to yourself, then read them out loud to a friend or family member. This will give you practice in pronunciation and inflection (dialogue, animal sounds, etc.) to listeners.

Would this be possible for a beginning?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 05:27 PM
    You can also look at picture dictionaries made for English as a Second Language. It shows a colorful picture of each dictionary entry. It is a great way to develop vocabulary. You can also watch television shows for children in English. It will help you understand the language better. Then, use the language as much as you can and before you know it, you will be more comfortable.
    nessa93 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2012, 06:17 PM
    Have you already been taking lessons and you are just nervous about using it? If that is what you are saying, I know I have helped a few friends taking ESL at my high school and I had the same problem when learning french as a second language. Are you in an english speaking country? If you are, go to a store with something you want (I went away to learn french in Montreal, Canada so I had to use my french as much as possible.) like a small restaurant, a grocery store, or even a convenience store and ask questions like "How much is this?" or "Can I have this?" Start small and you will get used to talking to some strangers... eventually you can use more phrases and start conversations... Ask for directions to a place even if you know where it is (sometimes that is best! Then you can feel more confident at first!) and if you cannot understand ask them to slow down and that you are still learning... many try to help you no problem! Hope I could help :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English language [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my question is that how many opportunities(or in how many ways) are available on Internet to enhance my English speaking power or writing power? How can I improve my English speaking power or writing power by using the internet?

English as a second language [ 9 Answers ]

I"d like to know the difference between the wordas "null", "zero", "nill", "nought"

English as a second language [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, could you rephrase /say in other words/ "When you have sinned grievously, the devil is waiting." I need to translate that in my native language but I can't get the meaning. I'd like to thank Judith for the previous answer. It was of great help for me.

English as a second language [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! I'd appreciate it if you could rephrase the followng sentence for me to understand the meaning and translate it into my native language correctly:"Everything that you say or do I'm hung up on you"

View more questions Search