Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2012, 06:23 AM
    Latest scam
    I've been getting several hang up telephone calls a day fro 800-123-4567. I JUST picked it up and female stated she is calling from "my windows operating system," my computer has been sending random e-mails which "her office" knows I am not generating. She wanted me to turn my computer on and click on HER WEB SITE so she could help me track the person who has hacked into my account.

Innovative and if she goes where I suggested - oh, well.

This is apparently the latest scam!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 3, 2012, 06:25 AM
    Interesting twist there...

Either way do NOT trust such calls as they are after YOUR personal information and cold hard CASH..
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2012, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Interesting twist there...

Either way do NOT trust such calls as they are after YOUR personal information and cold hard CASH..

If these people would spend their time and energy on good instead of evil... I just ran out of steam there.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 06:57 AM
    This is why I don't trust anyone who calls the house. I avoid the phone at all costs. I am tired of hackers and scammers. The online game I play at one point(not sure if it still is as bad) hackers were making millions off stealing peoples accounts and reselling them, stealing credit cards and selling gold. I am so cautious now with my online scanning. Just wish I could meet one of these jerks face to face as it makes me so angry they want to take from me what is mine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 07:00 AM
    Yes I found something interesting, I spent my afternoon at a "photo lab" using the Kodak name. They were developing photos for people, like the one day service.
    ** This location was the approved photo shop for government ID photos, and still working on my government workers ID card.

But anyway, unlike the US where these are done automatically by machine several employees sat at screens and did improvents on quality one photo at a time, so they looked at every photo being developed. ** will not commit on some things people photo'ed. Since the screens were turned in our direction.

So I know now how easy it would be for scammers to get photos of other people a quck flash drive and you could have dozens of other peoples photos to use online scams.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 07:01 AM
    Does NY not have a Do Not Call list you can subscribe to?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    This is why I don't trust anyone who calls the house. I avoid the phone at all costs.
    Same here. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Does NY not have a Do Not Call list you can subscribe to?

It does and I'm on it - and it has done absolutely no good because, in the words of our Beloved NYS Attorney General, "These calls are being generated from another Country."
    Dogs Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 07:14 AM
    Canada has it as well (no call list) and from what I understand is it works for the legitimate companies. They have to give the list out to companies so they know who not to call. Well the ones that are not based in Canada and who are not legitimate use those lists as Yahoo we have more numbers to call.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2012, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Same here. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.

I have to - I use the line for work. Very often I don't answer, pick up the message and call back if it's legitimate.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 3, 2012, 07:29 AM
    I moved May 11 to a rural area that has no cell coverage, and I have yet to get a landline. I use gmail to call out (and it's free), but can't receive calls. Other than the hassle of places that require a phone number on a form (I gave up saying 'no phone' and just enter my last number) I haven't really missed not having a phone!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    This is why I don't trust anyone who calls the house. I avoid the phone at all costs. I am tired of hackers and scammers. The online game I play at one point(not sure if it still is as bad) hackers were making millions off of stealing peoples accounts and reselling them, stealing credit cards and selling gold. I am so cautious now with my online scanning. Just wish I could meet one of these jerks face to face as it makes me so angry they want to take from me what is mine.
    You can say WOW here you are amongst friends. Lol
    Dogs Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 06:53 PM
    Yes it is WoW. I still play and sadly think MoP will be the last expansion :(
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 11:12 PM
    My personal favorite is still the scam where they call and tell you your computer has a virus. I love stumping them, and having some fun of my own. I usually ask how they know that I have a virus. They tell me that they can see it. I ask how they can see it. They say "we have remote access". I ask who gave them access. They change the subject. I then ask what they can do for me. They tell me that they can fix the virus if I give them remote access. I then say "But you already have remote access". That's usually when they hang up and end my fun. :(
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    My personal favorite is still the scam where they call and tell you your computer has a virus. I love stumping them, and having some fun of my own. I usually ask how they know that I have a virus. They tell me that they can see it. I ask how they can see it. They say "we have remote access". I ask who gave them access. They change the subject. I then ask what they can do for me. They tell me that they can fix the virus if I give them remote access. I then say "But you already have remote access". That's usually when they hang up and end my fun. :(

I got another call, said I fire up my computer and, by the way, I'd like to change my screensaver photo, how do I do that?

After about 3 rounds of "what?" she hung up on me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Campbell, Cohen (Attorneys at Law) is scam or not scam? [ 7 Answers ]

If anyone can tell my please answer me

Is the latest version of the IMac worth getting? We just got the next latest... [ 2 Answers ]

Is the latest version of the IMac worth getting? We just got the next latest version but I got an email the new Imac has been released. The Apple store is being very nice about - trade it in for the new version or get $300 refund. Any thoughts on what we should do?

Latest tech? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know about recent technologies?

View more questions Search