Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    petey01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Retrofitting a storm door
    I bought a pella full glass storm door knowing that it would be too short for my opening(older house)... they wanted double the price for a custom door... I thought I could retrofit it with the adjustable sweep and a little creative carpentry ,but we`re talking 3 or 4 inches... and I`m not a professional carpenter...

I thought I wouldn`t be too bad building down from the top(lol) but,I`m not sure how it`s going to look...

Any suggestions?.
    bllady Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2012, 04:51 PM
    I'm not a carpenter either, (more a DIY enthusiast), and I don't have the answer to your question, but I wanted to share that I have had some success getting help with some of my home improvement issues from sites like Family Handyman (DIY Home Improvement Projects ? Do It Yourself Home Repair Guides - Family Handyman) and Ana White (Ana White | Free and Easy DIY Furniture Plans to Save You Money - it has a forum that is populated by way more advanced DIYourself-ers than myself). Plus, Lowe's has really informative videos on YouTube covering a wide range of topics. Hope that kind of helps :)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 04:09 PM
    You might want to consider fabricating (or have a siding guy fabricate) a filler strip just like the bottom sweep and using that to fill the top few inches. May be able to find such a thing already fabricated at Home Depot or Lowe's. A lot depends on color.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My storm door opens in? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a breezeway that has just an old aluminum storm door with jalousie windows. The panes are beginning to fall out, the door isn't worth repairing any longer. I've already installed an after market deadbolt and made other repairs. Can the storm doors sold at home improvement stores be installed...

How can I reverse the opening of my storm door [ 7 Answers ]

I bought an old house with a 35" aluminum storm door on the front. It is mounted with the handle opposite the inner door handle. The door is in need of a replacement window, but otherwise, in good condition. I'd like to reverse the opening, to match the inner door and make the door bell and...

Extending the length of storm door [ 2 Answers ]

I have a storm door that has about a 2 inch gap at the bottom. The installers put a piece on the bottom of the screen door that is sort of U shaped and screws onto the bottom of the door to fill in the gap. However, that piece is not broken and I would like to get a replacement piece. However, I...

Tenant wants to remove storm door if deposit not returned. [ 5 Answers ]

My tenant replaced a storm door on my house that she was renting. She vacated yesterday without giving proper notice and informed me that if she gets her deposit back, she will leave the door. If not, she will come back and take the door with her. Considering the condition she left the house in,...

Millikin Door Kit needed in order to install storm door [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a Milliken (may be mis-spelled) exterior door with two side light panels on both sides. I have purchased a Larson Storm Door for the front door. There is not enough depth between the two doors when measuring them - therefore I need to build the front door frame out. I need to know...

View more questions Search