Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fair wolf Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2012, 03:59 PM
    hair follicle text and cut off levels
    Hi,

I have drunk alcohol, approx 5/6 bottles of wine and - Probably 9-12% vol and average bottle of wine maybe measuring 9 units over a two month period as well as a 2 x 1/2 bottle of vodka measuring 12 units or there abouts.

Would this show as below or above cut off levels for a hair folicle ETG test, and do factors such as medicines for cold remidies factor in?

Kindest

fairwolf
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2012, 11:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fair wolf View Post
    Hi,

I have drunk alcohol, approx 5/6 bottles of wine and - Probably 9-12% vol and average bottle of wine maybe measuring 9 units over a two month period as well as a 2 x 1/2 bottle of vodka measuring 12 units or there abouts.

Would this show as below or above cut off levels for a hair folicle ETG test, and do factors such as medicines for cold remidies factor in?

Kindest

fairwolf
    Hair EtG testing HEtG claims to measure classify drinkers into low, moderate and high intake (my terms). I haven't had enough experience with the test to know the incorporation rate (ICR) into hair if it is even known. The test isn't used much in US. From what I have read you would probably have EtG and FAEEs in your hair but where you would fall in the classification system is beyond me.

Since there is no correlation between quantity of alcohol consumed and EtG produced I cannot figure how the test has any validity.

Are you in UK?

Sep 3, 2012, 12:27 AM
    Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, I am in the UK.

I have read a few articles on the lack of validity and am aware that there are are lot of factors that contribute to this. I know there has been little drunk, but have taken things like cold remedies such as Beechams, with being ill recently, corsodoyl and ambosol for a sore tooth every day and am aware that these things have quite a lot of alcohol in but did not even think at the time about such things and now am worried that these will factor in?

Kindest

Sep 3, 2012, 12:28 AM
    ]hi,

I have read a few articles on the lack of validity and am aware that there are are lot of factors that contribute to this. I know there has been little drunk, but have taken things like cold remedies such as Beechams, with being ill recently, corsodoyl and ambosol for a sore tooth every day and am aware that these things have quite a lot of alcohol in but did not even think at the time about such things and now am worried that these will factor in?

Kindest[
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2012, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fair wolf View Post
    ]hi,

Kindest[
    Small amounts of alcohol create EtG in small quantity, 100-200 ng. Compared to a glass of wine that creates EtG about 25000 ng. Per dose of alcohol that is generally in the range .02% or less (measured in urine). To the best of my knowledge there is no published ratio for ICR into hair. Without that ratio I simply can't figure the validity of quantified EtG in hair. Additionally, individuals synthesize EtG at widely variant rates in proportion to dose of alcohol consumed.

Based on my knowledge of the incorporation rate (ICR) of other drugs I doubt that small amounts of alcohol would be sufficient to infuse into hair which must occur via circulation. Confounding any calculation is that the quantity of EtG is always higher in urine than in blood even during EtOH metabolism(?) and of course there is no correlation between urine and hair.

Furthermore, it has been established that exposure to environmental ethanol even in trace amounts creates EtG but there has never been a population study to determine just how much. In other words we don't know how much EtG should be measurable in a totally abstinent individual across time... as hair is a reservoir matrix.

Truly an absurd test!!

Is this still being used in the family courts in UK? Got a pretty good thrashing a few years back.

Also is TriMega the only administering lab there?

Sep 3, 2012, 05:42 PM
    Hi,
    Thank you for getting back to me again. I am not sure about the labs, but I have heard of trimega and that is actually what got me worried and yes, I think it was the court case from few years ago that did it, with a lady that conflicting reports were given for.

I have no idea if this is going to be used as yet, but started to investigate and it made me question the validity of it all, given that I have drank a small amount, but have also took other things for colds and illness as well as eating foods that contained alcohol (the latter, making me bad due to the taste and being on an anti drinking drug). I could not fathom out how such a test could work. I hope and expect that the urine test may be the thing that is used, if thee factors are taken into account. I also have a breathelyser which is done every few days at my doctors.

Thank you for all your help. I will let you know for your readers any additional information I can as it arises.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help, hair follicle test, used hair from arm pits [ 2 Answers ]

I stopped smoking in January 2012, before that I smoked two to three joints a week. July 7, after a friend died I had a couple of hits off a blunt. Yesterday, apron 49 days from when I last smoked weed, I had to take a hair follicle test for a possible job. I didn't know they were doing hair...

Hair Follicle [ 1 Answers ]

I smoked a small amount of meth about a month ago. I have to take a hair folic test in about two weeks. Will I pass due to the fact I didn't do but a small amount? It has been about 40 days since I smoked a small amount of meth. Will I pass a hair follicle test with in 50 days?

Hair follicle [ 0 Answers ]

I have to get a hair follicle, I'm just wondering... What does suboxone show up or better yet break down into? Thanks

I cut her off -but she just text - what do I do now? [ 4 Answers ]

OK I need some very urgent advice. I wrote my ex girlfriend an email on Thursday asking her if she would be so kind to bloody tell me where we stand... last night she came on msn, put herself as 'away', didn't reply to my message I sent her on Facebook and then she logged off! So out of anger,...

View more questions Search