Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwapagirl40 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2012, 03:11 PM
    Assets, liabilities, S Equity
    The Jamesway Corporation had the following situations on December 2013.

On December 20, 2013, Jamesway received a $4,000 payment from a customer for services to be rendered early in 2014. Service revenue was credited.

On December 1, 2013, the company paid a local radio station $2,000 for 40 radio ads that were to be aired, 20 per month, throughout December and January. Prepaid advertising was debited.
    3. Employee salaries for the month of December totaling $16,000 will be paid on January 7, 2014.

On August 31, 2013, Jamesway borrowed $60,000 from a local bank. A note was signed with principal and 8% interest to be paid on August 31, 2014.

If none of the adjusting journal entries were made, would assets, liabilities, and shareholders’equity on the 12/31/13 balance sheet be higher or lower and by how much?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2012, 04:45 PM
    1. Service Revenue is overstated and Unearned Service Revenue is understated by $4,000

2. Advertising Expense is understated and Prepaid Advertising is overstated by $1,000

3. Salaries Expense is understated and Salaries Payable is understated by $16,000

4. Interest Expense is understated and Interest Payable is understated by the amount that is equal to $60,000 times 8% times 4 months divided by 12 months

Every transaction will affect Owners Equity because of net income and net income is affected by revenues and expenses.

You now have all the information needed to solve your problem. You just need to figure out what these accounts affect and they are affected. For Example number 1 service revenue would affect owners equity and unearned service revenue would affect liabilities. Onwers Equity would be overstated and Liabilities would be understated.

Sep 1, 2012, 07:05 PM
    Assets, Liabitlities, S Equity
    Thank you @pready... your help is greatly appreciated. Below is you answer to my question I posted earlier titled the same. Here's my answer to you hint. See below

1. Service Revenue is overstated and Unearned Service Revenue is understated by $4,000

2. Advertising Expense is understated and Prepaid Advertising is overstated by $1,000

3. Salaries Expense is understated and Salaries Payable is understated by $16,000

4. Interest Expense is understated and Interest Payable is understated by the amount that is equal to $60,000 times 8% times 4 months divided by 12 months

Every transaction will affect Owners Equity because of net income and net income is affected by revenues and expenses.

You now have all the information needed to solve your problem. You just need to figure out what these accounts affect and they are affected. For Example number 1 service revenue would affect owners equity and unearned service revenue would affect liabilities. Onwers Equity would be overstated and Liabilities would be understated.

Assets overstated by $1000
    Liabilities under by $21600
    Equity over by $4000
    Are these all correct? Thanks

Sep 1, 2012, 07:08 PM
    Thank you @pready... your help is greatly appreciated. Below is you answer to my question I posted earlier titled the same. Here's my answer to you hint. See below. Please let me know if it's right

Assets overstated by $1000
    Liabilities under by $21600
    Equity over by $4000
    Are these all correct? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pready View Post

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find the assets and equity if the only given is the liabilities? [ 2 Answers ]

Assets= ? Liabilities= 20% or P800,000 Equity= ? How can I find the Assets and Equity then? Please help me!

Assets, Liabilities and equity [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know if this is correct, if its not an explanation would be great :) I'm not an accounting student, just taking it for GE and I'm just confused.. Indicate where each tansaction causes an increase (+), decrease (-) or no change (NC) in assets, liabilities and equity (type of...

Assets, Liabilities, Equity [ 1 Answers ]

If owner's equity and liabilities increased during the period, then assets must also have increased. Can someone help me remember what increases and what doesn't? Thank you!

Assets(R) = Owner's Equity(R) + Liabilities(R) [ 0 Answers ]

Assets(R) = Owner's Equity(R) + Liabilities(R) Sold merchandise on credit for R9000. The goods were originally bought for R6000. Please provide with the answer on how do I support my Accounting equation on the above statement.

Assets liabilities owner's equity [ 1 Answers ]

Question 2: Indicate whether each transaction caused an increase (+), a decrease (-), or no change (NC) In assets, liabilities, and owner's equity: Owner's Assets Liabilities Equity a. withdrawal of cash by owner b. purchase of an asset for cash c. purchase of an asset on account d....

View more questions Search