Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lemo1524 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2012, 06:47 PM
    Fish tank snail problems
    Snail like things just appeared in our freshwater tank with chiclids have no idea where they came from, does anyone know what these are?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 1, 2012, 12:44 PM
    Have you purchased any live plants and put them in the tank recently?
    Many times there are small snails with them.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 1, 2012, 01:44 PM
    LadySam is right as usual...

Snails come in on plants. Usually they are clear egg sacks that can't be seen. Snails are useful to a point. They are great at cleaning algae and don't make much of a mess while doing it. The problem with them is that they multiply very quickly and soon can take over a tank to where you see snails everywhere you look.

If they become a problem for you, you can try plucking them out when you see them. This method takes forever to work though and it seems like a losing battle if they get far enough ahead. There may be a solution to add to the water; there wasn't such a thing when I had this problem. I solved my problem by accident. I added 2 goldfish to the tank and they seemed to be crazy for the snails. I never heard of such a thing but they cleaned the snails out in less than 2 weeks. You face a problem though because you have Cichlids and they usually enjoy the taste of goldfish.

What it comes down to is this... if the snails bother you, better get them out now as you see them before they have a chance to spread. If not, let them be and see how it all goes. It may not be too bad for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fish Tank Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 55 gallon tank. Its been up and running for about a year and 7 months years now. But here lately I have been having some troubles with it. It keeps getting cloudy and my ammonia levels are high. I was told to add moss balls to my tank and do a 30% water change, so I did. I still keep...

What Fish Would You recommend I Buy For My Cichlid Fish Tank? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 26 gallon cichlid fish tank. I am looking to buy more fish. So far I have 2 red blood parrot fish, 1 black knife fish, and 2 snails. I know I can't have many fish since cichlids are territorial, but what fish would you recommend to buy? Thanks!

I don't have a lot of algae in my tank and I have a apple snail. [ 8 Answers ]

I'm not sure that my apple snail will get enough food to survive. Can I feed it vegetables until I get some algae disks?

Nitrate problems with a new tank with lots of fish [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am Szabadasz I recently have had trouble with my nitrate I checked it today along with my ph and iron It was high so I took out 25% of my water replaced it Add water conditioner then checked my nitrate fixed my iron and re positioned my plants After I checked my iron again and...

Beta fish tank problems [ 4 Answers ]

We Have two make betas in one tank yes they are in different sides we also have two other betas in two other tanks the tank with the two betas is cloudy and smells like cat urine? THE other tanks are fine any ideas?? :confused:

View more questions Search