Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spuetz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Bad smell in bathroom
    Our house was build in the 1910's and our bathroom is located between the two bedrooms and shares the wall to the outside. Over the weekend we started to smell a foul broclii like smell coming from the bathroom. So we took a piece of the wall apart which is were we thought it was coming from and there wasn't anything there, then we took the toilet apart and still nothing. We haven't tried our atic but we know that it isn't coming from the crawler because we checked it out.The smell is only in the bathroom and no were else in the house. We do have natural gas in our house but that also isn't were it is coming from. Please help us we don't know what to do?? :confused:
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Mar 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spuetz
    Our house was build in the 1910's and our bathroom is located between the two bedrooms and shares the wall to the outside. Over the weekend we started to smell a foul broclii like smell coming from the bathroom. So we took a piece of the wall apart which is were we thought it was coming from and there wasn't anything there, then we took the toliet apart and still nothing. We haven't tried our atic but we know that it isn't coming from the crawler because we checked it out.The smell is only in the bathroom and no were else in the house. We do have natural gas in our house but that also isn't were it is coming from. Please help us we don't know what to do???:confused:
    Just a guess, but it may be sewer gasses backing up into the house. Is all your plumbing properly vented? Are all your traps full of water? Did you install a new wax ring on the toilet bowl? Could be a blockage or the fact that a drain may just smell bad. Try some mild bleach solution to kill any odor causing bacteria.Pour it down all drains in the room and let it sit. A 100 year old house may need to be refitted with the latest plumbing materials and techniques. PS--- I like broccoli!
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Mar 13, 2007, 04:07 PM
    I agree. It could be the sewer gases. If your house is that old, then changing the plumbing is a good idea anyway.
    Also, you could try one of those plug-in room aromathisers, like Glade Plug-Ins, or whatever. They now sell ones that have intricate designs to match your decorations. :D
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 04:18 PM
    It's not coming from the toilet tank is it?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Scroll down to the bottom of your question and look at the similar questions. Check some of the ones in the plumbing forum.

Note, sewer gas is toxic, a horrible way to go. Don't try to cover it up with air fresheners.

It may take more than mild bleach.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad kitchen smell [ 2 Answers ]

For several weeks now I have had a bad smell in my kitchen. I had a plumber come out about a month ago to fix a pipe that had a hole in it that was under my kitchen. They put lime, and later on fogged under the house to get rid of the smell. I am going to have them come back out next week to see...

Bad smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have this horrible smell in my bathroom. It started about 3 weeks ago. It smells like rotten onions or really really bad BO. The smell never goes away no matter how much I clean. I have had a plumber come out and check the pea traps but everything is in working order. They have no idea what could...

Bad smell in downstairs bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased a new house approx one year ago (it was newly built). Shortly after moving in (literally a couple of days) we began to get a bad smell in the downstairs bathroom which consists of a toilet and sink. I located the smell to the sink. The plumbers came, took off the sink and sealed...

Help! - Bad smell in Kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

We live in a brand new condo (moved in on June 1), and a few days ago I came home to a horrible smell throughout the whole place (seems to be worst in the kitchen). Today I spent hours cleaning in, around, and under the fridge, as well as sniffing around the whole kitchen and I cannot even tell...

Bad Rotting Smell in Bathroom Sink [ 3 Answers ]

In the apartment complex where I work, one of the apartments has a very bad rotting smell coming from the bathroom sink. I have tried chemicals and had lines water jetted with 180 psi. Checked vents and they are clear. Drains are clear and not plugged. Apartment complex is only 3 years old and...

View more questions Search