Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shaneshab Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Fired for getting sick at work.
    Today I just started working for a hospital in the Food Sevrices Dept. I felt fine when I walked in the door but after delivering meals to patient rooms and sorting dishes, I started to feel very nauseous. The combination of going up and down, and the heat/steam from the dishwasher made me get very hot, sweaty and have a headache. One of my coworkers noticed that I didn't look too good so she told me to walk with her to get some air. I told her that I didn't think I would make it. Just as I was saying that, I started to VOMIT. I vomitted in a trash can.

I informed my supervisor that I had gotten a little sick. Since it was lunch time, she told me to go get some food. When I went to lunch, I vomitted again and again ( in the cafetaria with nothing but medical professionals around) One lady wearing a white medical overcoat suggested I go see a doctor in the ER, while I had to endure overhearing coworkers whisper pregnancy predictions. I asked one of them to get my supervisor. When my supervisor came up, she suggested I go see a doctor.

Embarrassed and nauseous, I went to the ER Dept, located on the main level. They did a pregnancy test and confirmed what I already knew, which was that I am NOT pregnant. By that time, the nausea was beginning to subside so, realizing that I still had time to end my work day on a good note by finishing strong, I went back to my Dept to ask the Manager what she wanted me to do.

What she said was:
    • She did not put me on the schedule
    • I started off on a bad note
    • Call tomorrow to see if I still have my job

Is this JUST? Is it LEGAL? Is it normal for people who work in hospitals to get sick like that? What are my options if I get terminated tomorrow?

Thanks for reading
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
    Absolutely legal, unless you are a union member. Just? Well a hospital has to be very careful about infecting patients.

Recourse? Again, unless you are in a union, probably none.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 04:31 PM
    after delivering meals to patient rooms and sorting dishes, I started to feel very nauseous. The combination of going up and down, and the heat/steam from the dishwasher made me get very hot, sweaty and have a headache
    Considering what you wrote, I'd have to ask why you want to go back. It's obvious that you can't handle what's entailed to do this job.

As for your question, yes, it's legal. You worked there one day. Most jobs have a 3 month probation period. You couldn't handle the work. I'd be shocked if they asked you to come back, especially since you stated here that the work caused the problems you had. So, what would change if you were asked back? You'll still have to go up and down, the heat and steam from the dishwasher won't change. Sounds like you're not suited for this job, and your supervisor realized it.
    shaneshab Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Considering what you wrote, I'd have to ask why you want to go back. It's obvious that you can't handle what's entailed to do this job.

As for your question, yes, it's legal. You worked there one day. Most jobs have a 3 month probation period. You couldn't handle the work. I'd be shocked if they asked you to come back, especially since you stated here that the work caused the problems you had. So, what would change if you were asked back? You'll still have to go up and down, the heat and steam from the dishwasher won't change. Sounds like you're not suited for this job, and your supervisor realized it.
    Yes, but people condition themselves to deal with different environments everyday. I'm confident that I can adapt. I'm considering showing up tomorrow morning just to show them that I am dedicated and serious about keeping this job. Do you think that's a good idea or should I just sit back and wait for them to fill my position?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneshab View Post
    Yes, but people condition themselves to deal with different environments everyday. I'm confident that I can adapt. I'm considering showing up tomorrow morning just to show them that I am dedicated and serious about keeping this job. Do you think that's a good idea or should I just sit back and wait for them to fill my position?
    You have nothing to lose by being bold. It sounds like they're going to just let you go, so I'd say if you're gutsy enough, and willing, go there and let them know that you're there, willing, able, and ready to work. That may do the trick. Employers love people that fight for their jobs. Really, what's the worst that can happen? They fire you? Sounds like they already did. So go for it. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a person be fired for being to sick to call in to work [ 38 Answers ]

I called in on Tuesday and became so sick I was unable to call in for wed thur fri I received a letter intending to dismiss on sat, On Monday I explained I had become so seriously Ill I was unable to call and was going to need more time to recover I was fired. I was a very good employee for four...

Can I be fired while on certified sick leave due to work related stress? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been on disability for the last 3 years as a result of bullying and harassment at work for which I have filed a case against my employers.I am on certified sick leave. My employers are threatening to terminate my employment even though their independent medical doctor has deemed me unfit to...

Can you be fired for being sick [ 4 Answers ]

Is a Employer within their rights? Can you be fired for being sick? My employer claims If he does not receive a doctor's excuse for one day off sick on which is an unpaid day, that I will be fired. Is he with in his legal labor law rights? From Williamsport Pennsylvania

View more questions Search