Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 07:42 AM
    How to tell how old a book/bible is?
    Hello all,

So I have a Bible that has been passed down through the generations of my family, but I was wanting to find out how old it might be? I've looked for all the obvious signs, but having a publishing date would be too simple. It's got a ton a bunch of old pictures (none with dates of course and most are glued in or something so I can't get them out). They seem to be old enough to place it at the 18th century maybe a bit after or before, because it's in English and most of my family would have spoken Dutch... but I have no idea. It's been helpful for tracing ancestry, but I think they only just started putting names in it right before my great grandmother.

So the question... what do I look for to help age it? Or are there people who make a profession out of it, who can help me?

Thanks as always!!

Check out some similar questions!

Identifying a children's book about lake monsters (picture book not chapter book) [ 2 Answers ]

I was hoping someone could help me identify the title or author of a picture book I used to read as a child. I've seen that other users have had success with similar questions but unfortunately I just remember the basic premise of this book. Any help or tips would be great! The book I'm looking...

Children's book about a Nessie creature:1980's possibly a Weekly Reader Book [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to find a book for my son from when I was a kid. It was one of my favorites. I think it might have been published through the Weekly Reader Book Club but I'm not sure. All I remember is that a loch ness type friendly monster was in a small lake, and that children and maybe adults...

Which book of the bible records Jesus saying that He is God [ 9 Answers ]

Jesus mentions only at one place that He is God directly somewhere in the Pauline letters. Can you give me the verse number and the book

I have a huge book in German titled: Heilige Schrill. Is this a bible? [ 3 Answers ]

It has a picture of Moses and the Tables of the Law in the opening page. It has 880 pages with a leather black/gold, embosssed, beautiful thick covers and when the book is closed, the pages show gold. On the binding it says, "Biblische Geschichte und Worterbuch Der Bibel. My grandfather and...

Looking for book from The Weekly Reader Book Club, 60's or 70's, paperback, on WWI. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I trying to find a book that I bought in the mid-60's from The Weekly Reader Book Club. I believe it was simply called World War I. It's a small paperback. There's pictures in the book, one of which is subtitled "Doughboys to the Front". In this photo is my grandfather. I loaned...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.