Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XxnonaxX Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 05:40 AM
    Monologue advice
    advice please?

Question

Monologues and English.. help.. plz?

I have to write a monologue and I have two main ideas. Im not sure whether to do a soldier who's been shot and is dying or an anorexic girl freaking out after being at the doctor or after trying to eat normally and gaining 3kilograms.
    If I'm to do the anorexic girl one may I please have suggestions for similes for a skinny girl and metaphors for a fat girl. May I also have suggestions on how to start the monologue I have absolutley no idea
    Please tell me which idea is better and please givve suggestions on an introduction or an idea for the topic
    Thank you
    p.s I've brainstormed some ideas for the anorexic girl to cut the brainstorm short its:
    ~You can never be to thin
    ~I want to feel perfect
    ~I don't know how I got this way
    ~After forcing myself to eat its back to the routine;head in the toilet and finger in throat
    ~Mum can't tell me anything I'm 13 I can do what I want. She doesn't understand
    ~Why eat and exercise when you can control what you eat
    ~I freaked out yesterday when I couldn't put my fingers around my wrist
    ~starving is like a drug...
    ~I love watching food shows, talking about food and serching food nutrition anything but eating it
    ~I feel so guilty for eating the packet of buscuits yesterday its just that I was really hungry, now I have to run 2 more kilometters as punishment.
    ~Ive created an exersice plan every time I go into my room I do 10 starjumps, every time there is an ad on TV I do as many squats as I can
    ~I love my ribs and running my fingers on them
    ~Not fair how my friends are naturally skinny
    ~( at some point in the monologuue she does situps in front of a poster of Miranda Kerr)
    ~All the girls say I'm so thin I feel great
    Those are some ideas I want to incorparate in the monologue. Are they good? Are there other things I can add? Please suggest things. Thank you ^_^
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 29, 2012, 05:54 AM
    Sounds like a good paper! Since you have given thought to the anorexic girl, I would stay with that. She sounds like you have more connection to her.
    One thing I would comment about monologues in general is that they are often introspective. I might start with your 'I don't know how I got this way' and then mull over influence or criticism of family and friends, or what famous models look like, and maybe how being too thin is a great way to have control over your life when it feels like others are controlling every move you make. The rest of your ideas are great, just be sure to keep it a real monologue, not a diary or list. Things that are thoughtful rather than events. E.g. elaborate on feeling guilty and punishing yourself more than what you ate or did.

Aug 30, 2012, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Sounds like a good paper! Since you have given thought to the anorexic girl, I would stay with that. She sounds like you have more connection to her.
    One thing I would comment about monologues in general is that they are often introspective. I might start with your 'I don't know how I got this way' and then mull over influence or criticism of family and friends, or what famous models look like, and maybe how being too thin is a great way to have control over your life when it feels like others are controlling every move you make. The rest of your ideas are great, just be sure to keep it a real monologue, not a diary or list. Things that are thoughtful rather than events. E.g., elaborate on feeling guilty and punishing yourself more than what you ate or did.
    Thank you so much for clarifying things for me I had no idea what to do and which direction to take as this is my first monologue, uve been a great help.

Sep 4, 2012, 02:58 AM
    What do you think of this monologue?
    What do you think of this monologue?

U can never be too thin. I mean it doesn't take Eistein to figure out that there is no need to eat then " exercise regurlaly" when you can just control what you eat. It's the sought of thing youwould think was established centuries ago. Its as easy as ABC well of course you'd have to stay committed to not eating but after you get the hang of it you'll have that dream body, like.. like Miranda Kerr ( smile slowly craws onto her fave and eyes glisten). I hate how mum watches me like an owl and makes me eat at eating at the table. Even worse I hate when she talks about eating healthy and how I look, I want staple her mouth to a balloon and watch her drift off. She doesn't understand, no one uunderstands I'm old enough to do what I want! Its not fair how some people are naturally skinny, I would do anything to be that kind of person. But no God decided nope you are are going to have to stop eating if you want to be skinny. I want to be skinny, I want to be perfect, I want to be beautifful. On every corner they are people eating, the stomach is to blame. It growls and rumblesin demand making people hungry and sendes them marchng to the fridge or pantry. As ruuthless and evil as food is, its no match for me I've learnt to ignore its growls and rumbles. If dad was here I'm sure he wouldn't bother me like mum does, dads never seem to pay any attention. Oh great here comes the doc, coming here was completely unnecesariy I just fell off a chair, there's nothing unordinary asbout that,try telling that to mum. I wonder hpow many calories were in that soup they fed me. I wonder what people were saying after I fell unconsious, the last thing I heard was she's a twig, and to tell the truth I am a twig a nice skinny twig. Its better that being a walking whale. I think about food, watch food, make food, do anything but eat it, sometimes... sometimes when I really can't help it I have a little bit but then of course I punish myself for it: head in the toilet, finger down my throat then an extra lap. Its become a habit I do it when I'm bored or when I'm stranded and can't get away from the food. This other day, mum nearly walked in on me, I was so scared, I still a, she would be so devastated if she saw me. I don't know when this all started it just happened, I'm never going to be the anchor in tag of war, the one who always gets the leftovers or the kid who can't fit into anything. My days of being a fat tub of yoghurt are over. Im never ever going to look like that again. My future is skinny and gorgeous, just like Miranda Kerr. I can't fream to imagine all the clothes I could wear. I love running my fingers on my rib cage and I love how my hip bone pops out with a clicking sound.I love putting putting my fingers around my wrist ad knocking my knuckles on my collar bone. I am going to have a perfect body, I'm not there yet but I am going to get there. As soon as I can walk I'm out of here.

Is this monolgue good enough, how can I make it better,any suggestions would be great
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 03:10 AM
    I find it quite sickening personally since it advocates such a poor health

Sep 4, 2012, 03:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I find it quite sickening personally since it advocates such a poor health
    Yes I sought of thought that after reading it but like all writing it must have some affect on the reader. Is it worthy of being called a good monologue?
    current pert

Sep 4, 2012, 03:16 AM
    I think it's excellent. Leave out ( smile slowly craws onto her fave and eyes glisten) and quotation marks though - this is not a screenplay or news article.

Get the spelling, punctuation, and grammar in good shape and it's good to go.

Fr_Chuck, this is a monologue of a young anorexic girl, not a treatise.

Sep 4, 2012, 03:19 AM
    I think it's excellent. Get the spelling, punctuation, and grammar in good shape and it's good to go.

Fr_Chuck, this is a monologue of a young anorexic girl, not a treatise.
    Thank you, yeah the spelling and grammar is wack I couldn't be bothered to re read.
    current pert

Sep 4, 2012, 03:42 AM
    After all that work, you can't be bothered to get it in shape to hand in?

Sep 4, 2012, 05:59 AM
    After all that work, you can't be bothered to get it in shape to hand in?
    What I mean is I wrote it and didn't bother to look at it over again and just sent it onto here but now I have read it and panctuated I would never hand in something as hideous in spelling as it was, it was basically a draft copy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monologue ideas for 50+ woman [ 2 Answers ]

Need audition monologues. I like comedy especially. Any ideas? >email address removed<

Drama/Monologue [ 30 Answers ]

I have to do a Monologue about "its time to go on a holiday and many weeks have been spent planning this holiday and everyone is so exited" Anyway you have to talk about this holdiday but it doesn't have to be all about it. And I am having trouble coming up with a character. Help and Ideas would...

Monologue for audition [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know a good monologue I could practice for an audition? My school is writing their own play and I would love to be in it,but they're requiring our own monologue and I want one that will leave them speechless, it all depends on how I perform of course but a good one would help, thanks!

Think of a character for my monologue? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm finding it hard to get inspired for a monologue I have to do in drama. I need to come up with one that goes for about 5 to 7 minutes, has to include some non-naturalistic elements and has something to do with slander. I want something interesting... something that won't bore everyone to...

View more questions Search