Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dancingdobes Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Writ of execution
    Collection agency for a credit card sued and won the judgement. Writ of execution has been filed. Do not own any type of property and house is a rental. Question is: can my vehicle be taken away even though I don't own it, it is financed, the lienholder has the title. I understand about where they can put an attachment on it, but can they come out now and just take it away even though I don't legally own it
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 02:52 PM
    You own a portion of the car if you've made your payments. They can go for a judgement to place a lien on the car. The lien is going to just sit there until you try to sell it.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 7, 2007, 03:05 PM
    The collection agency ran a credit report on you and know that you don't own the car. Once it is paid for, then it is fair game. The collection agency would make arrangements through the court to seize the vehicle. The car would then be assigned a value. You would have the opportunity to pay what is due the plaintiff plus the cost of the court case and the towing etc. If the judgment and expenses are not paid, then the vehicle would be sold. The first $1000 of the value is given back to you to purchase another vehicle (more or less depending on your local laws.). The cost of the towing and court costs would be paid. Any monies over and above that would be given to the Plaintiff/collection agency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writ of Execution [ 15 Answers ]

I have a small claims that went into a default judgement. A friend of mine was sueing me for $400.00... and at the end since I missed the court date I ended up owing him $1674.64. Ok so there was a default judgement placed. I received a letter from the Sheriff regarding the Writ to Execute. So I...

Writ [ 4 Answers ]

My son has a mobible home and I am a co-signer the trailor is in a park on a lot lease with my son not me. He has quit paying for the trailor so I paying the park wants the trailor moved and back rent on land paid. The park has contacted the mortgage co about moving the trailor. The payments on...

Writ of Execution [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question -- We had a judgment issued on my husband & I & had our bank account frozen back in April of this year. They took the $ in there & then we made payment arrangements w/them to pay off the remaining judgment. We came into financial hardships again & could not pay the monthly...

Execution of valid contracts [ 7 Answers ]

My question is: When one of the parties to a contract is a corporation, must an officer or agent of the corporation actually subscribe his or her signature to the document? More specifically, if a duly authorized agent or officer of a corporation merely stamped the written contract with a symbol...

Execution [ 2 Answers ]

I have a redhat 7.3 linux box with cobol 4.1 installed. I upgraded to redhat linux 9.0. When I try to install cobol license manager it gives error rts32 error 114 while executing the command. The compiler works but one cannot execute programs :(

View more questions Search